AMD Phenom 9600 (in Gateway system) - Bad Purchase ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Imo, if you can find some reputable person to build you a PC do it. For about $100 more for the service you can get a MUCH better PC esp. if you overclock. Ask for the parts list on the Forums and then order the parts and ask them to build it for you.

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Not a bad machine but if you intend to play newer games you are going to have the same experience you had with Doom 3 (and Doom 3 is a couple of years old).

Upgrading video cards etc can be a daunting and expensive task on a computer from Gateway, HP, Dell etc since they tend to use proprietary parts.

If you are interested in playing games I'd say return the Gateway and build your own, read up on what other people are building in that price range on these forums and then pick up a $20 book at Barnes and Noble that'll step you through building your own computer. In fact if you posted that you are looking for suggestions on a $750 gaming machine you'd probably get 10 responses from people, all of which would make great machines.

It is not difficult as long as your a somewhat technically inclined and most people on this board are happy to offer help if you get stuck.

XndeX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
You can get a lot more than what you currently have for $750
I have only purchased 1 store bought machine.
Since then I have always built my own.
Just happier with what I know is going into it.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

I worked there part time a few years ago, I actually got bitched out because i wasnt pushing there service plan, I told them it kinda sucked when i read the fine print, they gave me a hard time, I quit, anf to this day some of the people that worked there when I was there wont speak to me, a very stong geek click there.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006

So you are the sucker that buys service plans... :lol:

And you want to dish out advice to someone else? :non:

MrManO1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
solid (store-bought) computer for the money, add a mid-level GPU such as a 2600 or 3600 level ATI (for Hybrid graphics) and you probably won't have to upgrade the power supply - would still be a good idea in the long-run though. Every desktop at Best Buy has a PCI-x16 slot. Then you can do pretty good gaming (not great), and the computer will be set for 99% of normal tasks.

Not any more - the Power Supply is standard (still crappy though)
Regular PCI-x16 slots

Gonna have to assume User error on that one. Was one IDE and one SATA?

I agree with Technology Coordinator (never thought I'd say that) in "What are you going to use the system for?"

Well all I can say is its a Gateway. You get what you get. Its not what I would have suggested but its not the worst PC ever. Thats reserved for eMachines in my book.

Personally if you can return it and buy a custom built one do it. You wont be able to game much if you plan to unless you want to for more money for a mid-hig end GPU and void the warranty and service plan by opening the case.

If you ever buy an OEM PC and even if you are a PC pro, you open it the warrantyis gone and thus it is wasted money.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

For some reason, OEM's like Gateway, Dell, HP etc. do not care about the errata. It's been virtually impossible to duplicate and if you don't virtualize, then it's no big deal. The issue is the bios fix slows the B2 down; you probably won't notice it in real world situations, but it's noticable in benchmarks when the fix is either on or off in the bios.

It's not a bad PC. It's just that AMD's now released the B3 Phenom's that end in '50'; i.e. a 9650 does not have the TLB errata and does not need the bios fix that slows a B2 stepping CPU down. So, they run something like 7% faster than the equivalent B2.

At that price, I'm not sure you'd get much from an OEM Intel system (i.e. a Gateway with a C2D or Q6600). A 9600 isn't that much slower than a Q6600. If you do video editing, burn DVD's and run multiple programs, then a quad core's a good investment. My general advice is if you already have a good dual core, then wait for Deneb from AMD or Nehalem from Intel, but if you need a new PC right now, then a quad core isn't a bad idea if you expect to keep that PC for 3-5 years.

It has a PCIe x16, so he can get a better GPU, though the power supply probably won't support much. If I were him, I'd get a 3650 as an upgrade as soon as possible.

A relative had a Gateway P4 system from a couple of years ago with Intel video that wouldn't play even relatively non-demanding games, and they didn't want to spend much on upgrading, so they got an 8400 that made a world of difference.

I can't see upgrading a video card or RAM voiding a warranty. Maybe switching out a PSU might, who knows with OEM's? I've never worked on them professionally, just been asked to do a few upgrades here and there.

Most OEM's come with PSU's that can just handle the components, so adding a GPU that needs more amps on the 12 volt rail can be a problem, but most OEM's sold at Best Buy aren't ready for a 9800gx2 or 3870x2 anyways. They can generally take an 8600gt, 8600gtx, 3470, 3650 or thereabouts, but not much more.

First of all, if I was to buy a prebuilt system, it would be a Gateway.
I have owned Gateways in the past, and I believe of all the prebuilds they are the best. Anyway they used to be, although it has been about 7 years since I bought one.
*The last 3 Gateways I bought are still up and running perfectly, doing what they were purchased to do*
If you bought the system as a gaming rig, you will be disappointed.
If you don't mind spending some extra $$, a video card upgrade would do wonders.
It's a good system for the money.

alexibm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Appreciate for the responses
I should have been more clearer with my needs

I used to buy pro Workstations from Dell and HP, and got tired of them, since they don't offer any advantage over Regular PCs, cost more, require service plan (oh well, Xeon workstation is totally different story)/

I went to Best Buy a week ago, with intent to buy new PC, looking around I have found that they had single HP quaro Core 6600 system for over grand, with **** load things, I will never use, couple dell dual-core systems, couple AMD Quadro/Tripple Core systems

Most of my time, I spend working in Engineering software, that requires low to mid cpu load (rarely very high). In fact, much of the software I am using, is not yet ready even for dual core !!!!!!!! I do some programming in C++ (and soon will do a lot lot more), and occasionally I play games. I was going to buy Nvidia QuadroFx video card, but as it turns out, I will not gain any advantage over good gaming card.

However, after reading CPU benchmarks, comparing price/performance/hardware features and even playing already outdated game like doom 3 (4 years old!!!!) I thing I have made bad purchase.

If I will keep this system, will I be able to upgrade my processor in one year, two years ?
What do you think of this system ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113058

Thanks !

Funny thing is that there is this little sticker on the back of OEM PC cases. When you try to open the case it will get disconnected and that will void the warranty. Its the OEM's way of making sure you will pay them for a new part if you want it.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
One apon a time, in a decade far far away......

Dell and Gateway were almost identical machines....

Both used intel motherboards, both used western digital hard disks and ati video cards...

Then Dell went the way of the Foxconn..

Gateway got poor. Dell got rich... Intel got taken to court because i believe Dell got rich.. allegedly...

Gateway left the rest of the world, to lick its wounds in good ole USA..

I used to own a Gateway, the grey one with the gold G logo on it... Bloody good machine then...

Now Dell and Gateway take the E out of enthusiast for me... They are not for me im afraid....

Yipsl, oh word of wisdom, im sure youll mock me like you usually do and give me the 10 commandments...

But imho Dell, Gateway and packard bell are the biggest pile of crap well before Acer...

The only OEM I sell is Fujitsu... Boring looking but good reliable machines... Sold some HP's. Been ok, nothing special...

But if you want to get anything out of the machine, as Yipsl said put a new video card in it....

Then sing ditties to your self from the 15 second intro on itunes.... Be happy !!!

It could be worse, it could be a E-Machines...