AMD Phenom build: help me out

dannyboy33

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Budget: preferably $1000 up to $1200 CAD max
First time building my own rig so I'm very new to this but have tried to research what I should be looking for. Here is what I have so far:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0Ghz)(-$240)

Mobo: Gigabye GA-MA790GP-UD4H(-$130)

PSU: OCZ SXS 600W(-$88)

HD: WD 640GB(-$100)

Optical: SAMSUNG Black 22X(-$30)

Memory: G. Skill 1.8 - 1.9V 800Mhz(-$57)

$645 so far, I still need a case, video card and a cooling unit and this is where I'm having the most trouble choosing, if you guys could help me with some suggestions or just take a look at what I have in mind and critique:

Fans (3x): Rosewill 120MM Blue LED(-$48)

Video card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 (1GB)(-$234)

Case: Antec 300(-$70)

Updated cost is $997, just perfect and I think I have a good system. Now, this is my first time doing this and I'm still oblivious to a lot of things, so please point out if anything doesn't match or there are better things I could get.

Change the power supply to the Corsair 650TX for $15 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=650tx

There are two main differences for the extra $15: the PSU is higher quality, and it's powerful enough to allow a second HD 4870. Your motherboard allows it already so why not get a PSU that allows it too, just in case.

You don't need to buy an aftermarket cooler at all. Just take that Sunbeam off the list. The CPU will come with a decent stock cooler. You only need an aftermarket cooler if you're into overclocking, and you don't sound like that sort of guy IMO.

You could get an Antec P182 for $20 less than the Cosmos. It also has the advantage that it's smaller on the outside (more room left for your legs under the desk), Of course, it's smaller on the inside too, but you don't need a huge case for that setup. It's soundproofed too, like the Cosmos 1000.

I don't buy Sony products. I'd recommend this Samsung SH-S223Q instead:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

dannyboy33

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Thanks, I'll probably get this. After reading some of the reviews it said that you need to buy 3 fans for it on your own so I'll probably get 3x these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200028

I will probably get into overclocking it eventually so I was thinking it would be best to buy a cooling unit now. However, I'm not sure I really need it since like I said above^ the case that I want to get (Antec 300) will have a bunch of fans to keep the air flowing and keep it cool. I'll switch out the sony product for the samsung you mentioned.

As for the PSU change, what will I be getting for the extra $ that I'm gonna spend? I don't think I want to spend that much but if you can convince me maybe I will. :p

Okay well, I'm going to wait until the end of today and then I'm probably going to put in the order. Let me know if there is anything else I should change out or get rid off. Thanks :)

OK, then it's worth buying a better cooler than the one that comes with the CPU. That Sunbeam is good. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is also very good, and costs $4 less (actually, you save more than $4 because it also has free shipping).
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=HDT-S1283

The Antec 300 does come with 2 fans. You don't HAVE TO add more. OK, if you overclock the CPU and buy a second video card then yes, it's a good idea to add more fans.

What would you get from the 750TX compared to StealthXstream 600W?

1. The ability to use two HD 4870 cards. You didn't say whether you care, but you did pick a Crossfire motherboard. The Corsair 750TX has 4 PCI-E connectors, the StealthXstream has 2, and each HD 4870 card needs 2.

2. Almost twice as much power (60A on a single rail, compared with 35A combined from several rails)

3. No worries about balancing rails, since the Corsair is single rail.

4. Higher quality in general.

Mind you, the StealthXstream is pretty good too. My Dad has one and it's been working fine for more than a year now. His only objection to it is that it has a blue light and can be annoying in the bedroom.

If the 750TX is too expensive at $110 (after rebate), at least get the Antec 650W ($100, free shipping).
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
That one has 45A, only 2 PCI-E connectors (but still supports HD 4870 Crossfire because the Sapphire HD 4870 comes with molex to PCI-E adapters), and it's also a good PSU in general.

Check www.ncix.com too, and www.memoryexpress.com. They are based in BC and Alberta respectively, so you don't pay PST if you're in Ontario for example.

jawallace-45

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
If you wait untill a least end of next a week, you should be able to order a AM3 CPU, they saying least by Apr. 20 - 23 they will hit market. Max will be X4 955BE clock at 3.2, price around $275 ?. I would go with AM3 motherboard over AM2+ mortherboard.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Why? DDR3 isn't faster to any meaningful degree, but the motherboards and memory are more expensive. You can top off a cheap $75 IGP motherboard (GeForce 8300/8300 or AMD 780G) with a Phenom II CPU, instead of some $200 motherboards. And they perform fine and are very power efficient.

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I would wait for next week when the next round of Phenom II AM3 cores come out. There's been speculation that the new AM3 cores are more optimized to use DDR3 so I suggest holding off from buying the PII 940 if DDR3 is something you want to use in your rig. Besides, if you plan to spend a good amount of money and want to keep the system for quite some time, you should be shopping for an AM3 motherboards to start with anyways.

Sidenote: May not be possible with your budget but how about an i7 920 if you cut some corners? 4850 instead of the 4870? Lower wattage power supply? Wait... have you factored in a monitor? 22"+ or bust.

dannyboy33

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Thanks for the info, I don't know about these things. So the release of the AM3 cpu's should mean that the price of the phenom II x4 goes down, right? I'm probably not going to be in the market for them as they will most likely be out of my price range. I have also read that there is not much difference between DDR2 and DDR3 except price. I will wait untill these new cores come out and hopefully the price of my items will go down and I can build the same rig for cheaper.