AMD Phenom II 955 Benchmarks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Gee my interpretation is that the 955 is just a tad under the 920 on most things so it comes down to performance vs price.

If your a high end gamer buy i7 ... simple.

If your a low end gamer get whatever ... I don't care about you.

If your in the middle then it is a tough call as the 45nm quads Intel has (Penryn) are still slightly better in temrs of IPC for many games anyway than Phenom II.

Issue is the price of the overall system - there isn't anything in it really.

I think you just get whatever you can for the best price ad enjoy the experience.

If AMD hadn't done a good job improving the original Phenom design your i7's would be up around 1000 each and the Penryn's would still be at i7 prices.

Given what you can get a 9650 for now, you would be hard pressed to build a better Phenom II system for the same money.

Don't forget Intel's 45nm Penryn Quads - te 8 series might be crappy but the 9 series are very good.

I just recommended Intel ... yes ... it is one of those traitorous days AMD fans ... I apologise (self flaggellates for 10 mins).

One thing here, its so close in gaming, its almost as if it doesnt matter. I agree, get what costs least for the most performance. Theres deals to be had. Competition is good.
Anyone on that half node switch? Think theyd do it?

colddevil324

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I read somewhere that the Phenom does better when mixed with an ati gpu, im not sure about this though but if it does turn out to be true then amd could have a winner on their hands

I saw a rumor that Intel is dropping C2Q prices again - think the 9550 is dropping by $32, the lower bins even more..

Just when is AMD/GF planning on going to 28nm? Last I heard, they needed gen1 HKMG to work on 32nm, and according to their roadmap of last November (or whenever analyst day was), they wouldn't get to 32nm until a year from now.

BTW, I saw the below post on MSNMoney, on BD:

The imbedded GPU (Fusion) part is currently going through the 4th or 5th re-re-design and they still can't get it right. Two VP's have thrown in the towel and left the company and these are long time AMD guys. There have been several different approaches including competing designs between ATI group and the AMD design group. The current design sounds like a scaled back core perhaps K6/K7 technology with the GPU in bulk process rather than SOI. The ATI GPU seems to not like SOI. All that means is that the processor cores would run at pre K8 speed. That would seriously degrade the Fusion performance. My guess is that product will never tape out just like others. AMD has spent $Millions on designs then cancelled the project before completion. Besides the huge design engineering there is also all of the new product test hardware and software costs. The hardware gets trashed when the project is cancelled and all of the engineering costs for these projects is wasted money. The new CEO Dirk Meyers seems to have a much bigger mess on his hands then he inherited from Hector Ruiz and it sounds like it is getting worse. Internal reorgs are not making things better and more lay offs in manufacturing are rumored. It's hard to be optimistic in that environment.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Where do you get your facts? :sarcastic:

peanutpc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
AMD is losing it... I been AMD fanboy for 10 years but they lost me after seeing Core I7. AMD should at least put their dukes up, Intel is giving them a a$$kicking for last 3 years.

Good thing I went with Intel CI7 and not waiting for AM3 quads.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

What the hell? Q8xxx and Q9xxx are Yorkfield.......Yonah and Penryn are damn mobile cores.......Penryn being the T series and Yonah is the old ass Core Duo mobile chips.....

If anyone wants to, they can go around, and find "sources" that proclaim anything they want to expound upon. Well, heres one for you, and I for one am not happy about it. According to "sources", the new 8xx chipset wont include a series 7xx IGP. Id add that to your doom and gloom also

xand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

looool yes

xand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

loooool yes

?? I thought you didn't care for IGPs anyway, or maybe that's just Intel IGPs :).

As for the doom & gloom, we're pretty much the same except on opposite sides of the fence :D. Let's face the facts - AMD stumbled badly 3 years ago and are still paying the price. Yes recently they have made a comeback, but only part-way IMHO, and really the main reason I tend to view the AMD glass as half-empty is because of their unconscionable "40% better across a wide variety of applications" BS spouted by the CTO, when he either did or should have known better. Lying to the customers is as bad as anticompetitive practices.

In short, AMD talks the talk but Intel walks the walk..

However just as soon as the roles are reversed I'll be on your side of the fence. I don't owe Intel my loyalty, just my business as long as they continue to deliver on what they promise.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

No because 'Pentium dual cores', eg the e5200 are Yonah based not Penryn.

Yonah and Penryn are also the name for the general architecture.

Take the best P1, use a 3xxx series gpu, and youll see 40%, whether its gpu or cpu oriented. Thats using a 4870 with this cpu, or a 955. Not every app, but alot, or spot on. No lies, no deceit, but spot on.
Just going on the gpu usage, thats conservative. Read it into context, and how it was displayed, as this is how the comparison was made. If people werent sharp enough to discern their presentation, ignorance is no excuse.
Im not putting you in that category, I just think you need to actually look at the differences P2 and the 4xxx series brings as a whole over the previous gen. This isnt Intel, they also have gpus.
Yes, I do care about IGPs, as a seeding effect for PC gaming. Its why Im disappointed with the rumored 8 series coming, and its old IGP usage. Im thinking theyll add the 4xxx series IGP later on at 40nm, which will completely dominate anything out there, and yes, itll be at least 40% better than the current one

ubernoob

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I've always been a firm believer that Intel chips are better, faster, run cooler, etc. But I've always still bought AMD. Let's face it, in the real world, for some of us, price is more important than benchmarks.

The Core i7s are faster, and those of you who have to have the fastest will choose Intel. But that doesn't mean you have to slag off AMD: they're offering perfectly decent chips for those of us in the middle of the market who want some respectable performance without paying through the nose for it.

So I guess my only point is, can't we all just get along?

(and the irony is I'm going to get flamed for that comment, lol)

Unfortunately, people get all emo about this subject. Take that out of the equation, and I totally agree with you. Even not taking it out I do. Best position to have

Ive heard maybe a dozen or so people who actually have both setups, about half say they really dont notice any difference, the other half? OMGITBSUBEROOOBER thing out. Like I said, remove the emo out, and thats where it lies

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

That can be said with basically any of todays hardware. You only see the difference in benchmarking, there are no real world visable differences.

Wait a minute - I'll have to go hunt up the EweToob video (maybe Enigma can help me out here - he probably has them catalogued :D ) but I'm pretty sure the CTO was referring to 40% better than Core2, not K8 - IIRC he used the phrase "our competition" and that obviously would be Intel, not their prior-gen product.

And we all know that 40% better turned out to be a 20% deficit..

Well that's a point right there - prices are a moving target, so unless you did a comparison today, I don't see how you can prejudge i7 as "paying through the nose". 2 months ago, maybe.

Most of us can take opposing viewpoints without flaming each other (or should be able to by now :D ). But if you're saying this topic has been covered in depth and then some already, then I agree. But, that's SOP for the forums - too many people get their jollies flagellating deceased equines :D