AMD Phenom II X 2 550 BE

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Just bought above cpu. Problem is the multiplier is locked. CPu z latest version does not id cpu as Black edition. I would like to know if 550 was released as standard cpu and be model. How can i get my multiplier to be unlocked

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Hi again.

TKS alot for your response. Great help.
On your answer. I have never updated a bios before. Most people say things could get pretty hairy if you don't know what your doing. I would like to get me 550 Be to work as promised, but i don't want to stuff up my system. Is it possible to get a step by step guide to bios upgrading.

Thanking you in advance

Theo

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yes it is Theo. When you go the website of your motherboard manufacture and look for the new BIOS. Also look for the directions on how to flash it.

Did you buy this cpu and build the system yourself? Or is this said cpu in a OEM computer. I have never actually looked into if the OEMs sell machines with BE edtion cpus in them. I am pretty sure they do but what I am not sure of is if those machines have a BIOS that will allow to multi to be adjusted. Giving that almost all OEM machines don't permit overclocking.

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Not OEM PC. Bought and build myself. Default BIOS. The thing is my previous cpu was a amd 5000+ BE. Had no problem
upping the multi on that one. I just assumed that it should be the same for the new one.

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

The packaging is 100% as the above one.

randomizer

Champion

The 5000+ is a relatively old chip. Your current BIOS version may be lacking the microcode needed to identify your CPU and assign parameters for voltage and clock speed correctly, which means you're lucky it's actually working. On the other hand, it may have the correct microcode but no support beyond that. Your motherboard model would be helpful to know. That way we can assist you more easily.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the specs in the Member configuration page that I rarely check. For everyone's reference:

CM Storm Scout Case
amd phenom II x 2 BE
gecube hd4830 gpu
550 w cm psu
Biostar ta 790 gxe mobo
250gig WD hdd
4gig kingston value ram

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Yeah it will be the same as long as the board is running with BIOS that supports your cpu.

I brought up the OEM point simply because I was not sure if you had a OEM machine and it make me think about that.

OEM or not OEM isn't a problem, in the motherboard's web page that you have you can find the last BIOS version and the steps to update your BIOS version.

If the mobo is a MSI mobo, you can use Live Update, isn't good for people that know how update the BIOS, but is a good option for noob people like you that don't know how do it.

Or, What mobo do you have?

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

My mobo

Biostar TA 790gxe 128m

Check THIS list, and compare the sSpec/OPN# number, if isn't the same that the processor that you have (the number is in the box of your processor), you need a mobo that support your processor. If your processor is in the list, update your BIOS.

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Hi

Just check opn. The number is right on box. mobo and cpu is compatible
Just flashed my bios. Still the same as before. no change.

theolxwest

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Hi there

I have upgraded bios. still no option for Core Fid. I've checked and re-checked, but nothing in bios.
I am starting to doubt that the chip i bought was installed in my rig. Will have it opened 2day to check

TKS for all the help

Theo