rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I just put this into my machine after trying a 955 and finding out that my MB is not dual power phase and cannot run a 125w cpu :( This was the best one the egg had in a 95w compatibility. I've seen several people say they oc it to 3.4 ghz but I'm crashing my system at 3.2 I am new to the overclocking process but am definitely committed to doing this with this particular cpu as I lost .4 ghz from the 955 to this and really wanted to run a 3.2 in my system. I've been running an AMD Athlon X2 5800 for years now and am not noticing an incredible difference between the 2 as of yet but its definitely faster, and I've noticed improved fps while gaming.

Any help is appreciated,
Regards,
Roger Funk III

rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I've been reading for the last several hours and I'm getting hung up on the bios in for my MB

System specs (should have had this in there before)

Windows Vista x64
Biostar TA790GX XE mb
4gb ddr2 ram
Nvidia Geforce n250 gpu
AMD Phenom II x4 925
Sata HD
750w ps
performance atx case well fanned

If anyone could perhaps walk me through the process with this particular bios or answer some questions I have in regards to it and the overclocking process that would be greatly appreciated.

rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1744341 This is my cpu-z validation

I'm running the machine on the Biostar TA790GX XE v6 auto overclock setting . The v8 and v12 settings won't boot up. I get a message stating something about to many freezups or something when I do. I can do it again and post the exact quote if necessary. My manual oc is very confusing to me compared to any bios i've seen before and many i've seen linked on these forums. I can take some photos of it and post those up if they help as well.

I'm pretty excited about overclocking my first cpu but I'm pretty nervous about doing something wrong and I am messing something up since I have to reset cmos most times I change bios settings in relation to the dram and cpu.

My system is in the cpu-z validation so my specs are there for all to see.

Thanks for any answers to this.

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, most folks get the Black Editions, way too easy to OC.....

You need to keep an eye on Temperatures. Run Prime95 to put a heavy load on the CPU, then monitor temps with SpeedFan. Keep the CPU under 70C and you'll be fine. If you have a stock air cooler, you'll need to upgrade to get much above 3Ghz or so without getting too hot. Something like the 212+ cooler will get the job done.

rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011

I purchased a black edition 955 originally but Biostar made this board incompatible with them since they are 125w cpus and this board only supports 95w cpus. 925 was more or less my only option.

rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I'm a complete noob to overclocking so please forgive my naivety. As of right now I am running the cpu with amd overdrive at 3.08 ghz stable. As soon as the temp hits 60 degrees Celsius od caps the oc. So I know cooling is part of my problem and I will be ordering a water cooler very soon.

With that said this mb bios confuses the hell out of me, and after reading for days on the oc process my bios "T series" stumps me.

Here is the cpu validation on the ram http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1751929

I will get a camera shot of my bios and see if it makes any sense to you as well lol.

rfunk83

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011

Upon further examination of the Tom's Hardware guide I realized tucked in the back of the aod guide was the bios guide for non black edition cpu :) I'll let you know how this goes hehe.

Once you have a grasp or general understanding of the handful of basic terms concerning your computer architecture, we will have you over-clocking like a champ in no time.

AMD has a base clock which you raise to increase speed. Other system components like your hypertransport, memory, memory controller, north bridge, etc, operate off that base clock, too, through the use of multipliers/dividers. They need simple adjustments to maintain stability and performance.

[:jaydeejohn:5]

mrcool63

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
i could get my 925 to 3220ghz(230x14) without voltage mod. max stable i got was 3.5ghz at 1.45v vcore and 1.26v cpu-nb. i had to lower the nb multiplier to 9 and ram frequency to 667 mhz though.

keep in mind the max vdd for this cpu is 1.425v only and max nb is 1.3v(for safe 24/7 running)