AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz - ASUS M4A88T-M | Wish to Overclock to 4GHZ+

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
Hi, I need help with getting my overclock stable,I had overclocked to 3.7 ghz but recently got to 4ghz on my Phenom II 965 by overvolting it to 1.525v, but Prime95 will fail most of the time, it will just close automatically after a couple of minutes as well as every other application running, and sometimes ill get BSOD, I overclocked with 200 FSB and 20 multiplier, changed RAM timings and disabled Cool' N Quiet and C1E Support

Thanks.

Specs:

Cooler Master HAF 912
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard
Samsung 840 Series 120GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM ST3000DM001 (x3)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply
SAPPHIRE Radeon 6950 OC Edition
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz (x2)
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Solution
Kind of a late answer but I found out why I couldnt get a stable overclock... LoadLine Calibration. WOW. It's suppose to "stabilize" your system, well it was undervolting my cpu by alot, I wondered why CPU-Z showed a different voltage than the one I set in the BIOS, well it was set to auto and I set it to 0% and I easily overclocked to 4.1 ghz and its stable!

Thanks for the help guys.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
drop your ram speed down to 1066 or 1333 .. remember most phenoms don't like ram that goes much over 1600mhz not saying its not possible but any way your best results would be to say drop your ram speed down to either 1066 or 1333 depending on your ram speed and then change the fsb multiplier for the cpu to something like 250 which should put you right around 4 GHZ your issue is stability so consider loosening the timings on your ram .. and increasing the voltage 1.50 to 1.65 personally I would try something like 1.55 and go from there leave the cpu clock multiplier alone at stock and overclock with the ram. your cooling solution should be enough but the issue is 965's don't really like to run much past 3.8 Ghz any way .. not all cpus are the same I have gotten my 1090t up to 4.1 ghz stable but it took a lot of tweaking to get there and not to mention a lot of extra voltage. If I were you I would just settle for 3.8 but give it a shot.. ignore the auto timings and the speed timings on your ram and loosen them for instance if its 8-8-24-8 try 10- 10- 28 - 10 not actual numbers just reference ..

What are you having a hard time with?

The guide was written as easy to understand as I could make it, and it's been rewritten about 4 times to accommodate those having difficulty understanding it.

You can Google any terms you do not understand to get clarification.

Many have questioned me as to why I took the time to write the guide in the first place, they say who needs a guide to overclock an unlocked multiplier CPU, but I took the time so newbies would have the information they need, but you still have to have the desire to use the information to achieve your goals.

However before you can achieve your goals you have to know what they are, 4ghz is a cakewalk with a 965BE, if you follow the guide.

I overclocked my 965BE to 4.3ghz on air using the same guide, and one of the AMD BE CPUs was the 965BE used to write the guide in the first place.

I do not take people by the hand and walk them through the overclocking process, that's what the guide was written for so you could help yourself, I have done my part, now you do yours!

And join the thousands that have used the same guide to overclock their AMD Black Edition CPUs.

Additionally the guide was written so you could step by step discover what your CPU, Memory, and Motherboard combination was capable of achieving, giving you a knowledge base to build on, so you could create and build your own overclocking knowledge foundation!

It is not a quick fix, as it requires effort on your part, and if you will apply that effort you'll reach 4ghz, but you cannot skip parts or think they're unnecessary or you won't reach your goal.

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
I took your advice, I set it to 240*17 = 4.08GHZ, I dropped the RAM down to 1280mhz, I overvolted the CPU to 1.475 its been a while since Ive made it to the desktop on 4GHZ, last time I tried to run prime 95 and it would close immediately so im guessing that means its not stable, the temperature is still at 31c-32c. so whats next? im almost certain if I start prime 95 it will either close or ill get BSOD/crash.

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
I Didnt say I had hard time reading your guide, I understood it perfectly its what helped me get to 3.8 ghz, and I followed it as best as I could, I meant im having a hard time getting anything over 3.8 ghz stable even though maybe Im almost there,im still tweaking settings in the BIOS but im scared to overvolt past 1.5v

:lol:

You understand the guide perfectly and you're using a FSB over 200mhz?

Where exactly is that suggestion in the guide?

Uhhh No Where!

A Black Edition CPU is a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can either raise or lower the multiplier, this guide is covering overclocking the CPU by raising the multiplier. The critical aspect of raising an AMD CPU multiplier is to keep everything else within specifications in the beginning of the overclocking process! Why? Because anything set outside specifications that is border lining on instability, increases its instability as the multiplier increases. Once you reach a stable overclock you can tweak from there and if the tweaks prove unsuccessful go back to your stable results.

200mhz x 20X @ + or - 1.40v should yield 4.0ghz with your 965BE, if you follow the rest of the guide.

gto1970

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Let me help my ASUS M4A785-M, AMD 980T BE @ 4.494Ghz not stable, stable @ 4.346Ghz
Geekbench not stable: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1803258
Geekbench stable: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1804893
MB Asus M4A785-M, AMD 980T BE, CM Hyper212 EVO, DDR2 Patriot PDC24G8500ELKR2 4GB(2x2GB)Kit2.1V (5-5-5-15) overclocked to 1142Mhz unstable and 1132Mhz stable 2.35V, Power supply Corsair GS600, video card VisionTek HD7750 1GB DDR5, SSD Ocz Vertex 3 120GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit stable EXP score all @ 7.5, SSD @ 7.8
Need help with any timings please respond.
Highest scores ever for Phenom II X4 @ Geekbench on Air......Could go higher with DDR3 MB and water or liquid nitro..WOW!!!!

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

how about you post the hardware your using...
mobo - ram - powersupply...

I rock my 1090t all around the block issue is I don't like miss treating it . did you increase the voltage the fsb ? its going to take a few restarts you cant exspect to go in and set it at an identical setting as some one else. you really should do incremental changes. to find your sweet spot. how ever be warned I have personally killed a 1090t overclocking so that's why I am a little more on the safe side of saying incremental is best if you just throw an obsene amount of juice at it and think that's all its going to take your wrong .. just tweak your ram timings . but heres clue start with really loose timings and then tighten them up so if your at 7-7-24-7 then shoot for 14-14-34-14 and just restart until you get stable .. if it fails to post at those loose settings loosen them up more.. check out a ram overclocking guide to get a better idea.

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

Yea ive tried changing the timings, but the PC doesnt boot... just a black screen, had to reset the cmos twice.
but I underclocked the ram down to 800mhz like you said and im running at 4ghz so yea thank you, not sure why I had to drop the ram speed so low though. im going to try to get higher.

Specs:

Cooler Master HAF 912
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard
Samsung 840 Series 120GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM ST3000DM001 (x3)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply
SAPPHIRE Radeon 6950 OC Edition
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz (x2)
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

A Black Edition CPU is a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can either raise or lower the multiplier, this guide is covering overclocking the CPU by raising the multiplier. The critical aspect of raising an AMD CPU multiplier is to keep everything else within specifications in the beginning of the overclocking process! Why? Because anything set outside specifications that is border lining on instability, increases its instability as the multiplier increases. Once you reach a stable overclock you can tweak from there and if the tweaks prove unsuccessful go back to your stable results.

200mhz x 20X @ + or - 1.40v should yield 4.0ghz with your 965BE, if you follow the rest of the guide.

Ive been doing this exact thing for weeks, but I think i've got it. I'm currently running at 4ghz I've underclocked the RAM way down to 800mhz and overvolted the cpu to 1.525v Ive been running Prime95 for about an hour and still no BSOD,and temps never go above 47C. and I remember you mentioned somewhere near the end of your guide that 8gb setups are "much harder" to overclock...
I have 8gb so thats the only thing I can think of thats been causing me problems, But as far as I can tell im running 4ghz stable and it WAS your guide together with goodguy713's answer, so thank you guys but im not done yet im going to see just how far I can go.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
not to be a party pooper but you have a nice set up you weakness is the ram .. get you a pair of 1600mhz ram corsair or patriot viper would do nicely.. just make sure its dual channel and not triple channel .. I have had the best luck with corsair ram but im currently rocking patriot viper3 ram in my system. just saying and your right its a lot harder to overclock with 8 Gb of ram but who really wants to just run with 2x4 ? lol not me! lol any way best of luck buddy.. your check your T timings its the 5th one if you raise that it should also help. and make sure your running in unganged mode.

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
Kind of a late answer but I found out why I couldnt get a stable overclock... LoadLine Calibration. WOW. It's suppose to "stabilize" your system, well it was undervolting my cpu by alot, I wondered why CPU-Z showed a different voltage than the one I set in the BIOS, well it was set to auto and I set it to 0% and I easily overclocked to 4.1 ghz and its stable!

Thanks for the help guys.

Solution