t33rev

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi all! This is my first post :) I recently built a computer with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu and it seems to be idling hot, at around 41 C. When I play games, it'll hit 60 C, which according to AMD is bad because 62 C is the max. I tried to turn the amd quiet n cool off to see if that would help, but it would idle even higher at around 50 C.
The CPU is in an Antec 300 and I am pretty sure I have a good fan system going. Two fans at the front lower bottom of my case which are sucking in air (intake). One fan on top of the case and one at the back top of the case, which both are blowing air out (exhaust).
I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to lower this high idle temperature or why my cpu has such a high temperature?
I was thinking it could be my cables being in the way of my fans at the bottom of my case, but it seems that many cables wouldn't affect airflow.

Note: I have been using HW Monitor to view my temperatures

Solution
Buy one of these
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler for All Intel/AMD CPU's
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am
1095594-l-a.jpg

Remove stock cooler
Clean top of CPU thoroughly
Apply tim sparingly
Fit new cooler properly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GcngCr_Vs

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Are you using the stock heat sink and fan that came with the CPU? They aren't the best at cooling. I would suggest investing in a decent aftermarket heat sink and fan. As far as your idle and load temps, 41 is a bit high, but tolerable and expected with a stock heat sink (I'm assuming of course that you're using the stock one). 60 degrees load is completely realistic, and it could easily get a lot higher. You usually want to start worrying when you are starting to stray consistently into around 70's or 80's. Assuming you're using the stock heat sink, my recommendation is to buy a decent quality aftermarket one.

t33rev

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply! Yes. I am using a stock heat sink and fan. I didn't think 60 was that high either but when I play a game and go above that temperature, my computer will crash, which I think is due to my cpu overheating. Do you think it is something else that might be doing that?

Tenderness

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I also had the exact same problem, with my CPU getting way too hot. I bought a Thermaltake CPU cooler, and it really helped. Can anyone clarify whether or not the overheating of the CPU is what causes games to crash?

t33rev

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm not sure if that is the case because I have had the same issues before and after installing a cpu cooler. The cpu cooler did it's job and lowered the temperatures, improving my cpu idle temperature to about 37 C. However, even after replacing my cpu cooler, my games crash. I play starcraft 2 and league of legends and they both have crashed during play. Just in case you wanted to know, I am running on a radeon hd 6770 (idle temperature on it is around 37C and when I play games, it is around 50C which I don't think is too high). I have been trying to solve this problem for about a year and yet to find a solution.

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

No. You are talking bullocks, and probably you gus are from cold temperatures in the US. I am from Brazil, here its hot, my amd phenom II 965 3.4ghz has never been below 63 and in gaming, using FSX, one of the most greedy processor hungry, it can go barely to 68 69 C, the max is not 60 as that kid, in my win 7 untouched, no OC, the max reported by any temp software like core temp is 70

So really different informations that makes things confusing, the mother at bios has a range of start the fan at 40, 50, 55, 60 ..so you guys need to learn a bit of international computers before getting into norms of temp safe data...tttssss

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

No. You are talking bullocks, and probably you gus are from cold temperatures in the US. I am from Brazil, here its hot, my amd phenom II 965 3.4ghz has never been below 63 and in gaming, using FSX, one of the most greedy processor hungry, it can go barely to 68 69 C, the max is not 60 as that kid, in my win 7 untouched, no OC, the max reported by any temp software like core temp is 70

So really different informations that makes things confusing, the mother at bios has a range of start the fan at 40, 50, 55, 60 ..so you guys need to learn a bit of international computers before getting into norms of temp safe data...tttssss

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

kapitan

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

No. You are talking bullocks, and probably you gus are from cold temperatures in the US. I am from Brazil, here its hot, my amd phenom II 965 3.4ghz has never been below 63 and in gaming, using FSX, one of the most greedy processor hungry, it can go barely to 68 69 C, the max is not 60 as that kid, in my win 7 untouched, no OC, the max reported by any temp software like core temp is 70. Been using it like this for the last 3 years

TRENDING THREADS