AMD Phenom II x4 Revision Differences - Important?

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I have been trying to do my homework before purchasing the parts for my first full build. Toms Hardware Forum has helped with everthing so far; power supplies, cpu and system monitors to use, memory, motherboards (unlocked multiplier in order to overclock), overclocking (which I need to study further), and many other things. Including a great new place to order from -- Newegg.com. :p (was using Tiger Direct).

I am looking at an Asus M4A78T-E mobo with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE. I have come to a wall. There are 2 listed on AMD's site and I cant figure out a major difference between them. These are the only ones listed:

HDZ955FBGIBOX - is revision C2, Voltages 0.875-1.5V

HDZ955FBGMBOX - is revision C3, Voltages 0.850-1.40V

I know lower voltages are always a good thing, but these two are so close it wouldnt matter would it?. And there is only a $5 difference between them at Newegg. (***GMBOX is the cheaper) So thats not an issue. To me it wouldnt be anyway for a good system.

Does anyone know of any other real differences and which is better? AMD's website descriptions are no help, so I'm afraid to actually talk to someone there for fear of live ignorance instead of just written ignorance. (I hate stupid people in a profession).

Solution
The C3 revision overclocks a lot better than the C2, quite a few have hit 4.0GHz on air, with beefy CPU coolers. The Phenom IIs are pretty badly overvolted @ stock - I saw one guy, PsychoSaysDie I believe, hitting 3.8GHz or more on 1.28V with a C3. Get the C3 revision if possible - but remember, some motherboards may require a BIOS flash, otherwise it will not support the processor. The $5 is definitely worth it.
The C3 revision overclocks a lot better than the C2, quite a few have hit 4.0GHz on air, with beefy CPU coolers. The Phenom IIs are pretty badly overvolted @ stock - I saw one guy, PsychoSaysDie I believe, hitting 3.8GHz or more on 1.28V with a C3. Get the C3 revision if possible - but remember, some motherboards may require a BIOS flash, otherwise it will not support the processor. The $5 is definitely worth it.

Solution
ASUS is usually pretty good at keeping their BIOSes up to date so you likely wont need to flash it unless you get an old one newegg had in stock. The C3 comes with a couple benefits, it will OC higher at stock voltage, generates less heat at stock and when OC'ed and costs $5 less ironically. Definitely go for the C3 stepping unless there is a pretty good combo with the C2 stepped version.

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Thanks for the straight answer. Thats what I was looking for. Someone with experience. The C3 revision is actually $5 cheaper. I have been running an AMD Athlon x2 for 4 years now with no problems. Despite what I hear about AMD. I am still in the stone age though, and would like to build my own full system and learn about overclocking. Just as a curiosity thing.

As for voltages. According HWMonitor, this ones running between 1.14 and 1.40, so 1.28 sounds good to me for an AMD. If Im reading it correctly. Still working on that one. First time with a monitor.

I did do my homework on the motherboard. It does support that processor, and there are bios updates available. Right now I'm still planning, didnt order yet.

Thanks again.

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Thanks Hunter for your help too. I didnt see them bundled at the time I was looking. Tiger Direct did. But after hearing about Newegge on here and searching and studying parts and reviews, I'm sold on Newegg. You expert builders wouldnt use or recommend them if they werent good.

Thanks again.