[SOLVED] AMD Phenom II x6 1055t bad performance?

The Hero of Orlais

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Is it normal to have a score of (CPU Z):
Single Thread = 160
Multi Thread = 900-960

PC seems running slow than It used to(I haven't really touch it in a year or two, but it still being used by my family member to do office stuff), games fps lower than I usually have, any idea?

Solution
Hi,

so a quick search shows that your scores in CPU Z look pretty good for a 1055t, here's the link if you want to have a look:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

That said, if the machine is feeling sluggish there are a number of possible issues with a machine that age.

Firstly, the thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink tends to dry out over time. I would suggest getting some new thermal paste (local computer supplier should have it or you can get online, it's not expensive), then taking the heatsink off the cpu, cleaning off the old thermal paste and apply new. Also make sure that there isn't a huge amount of dust build up in the cooling fan and also check case fans. If the machine is overheating the cpu will throttle down...
Hi,

so a quick search shows that your scores in CPU Z look pretty good for a 1055t, here's the link if you want to have a look:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

That said, if the machine is feeling sluggish there are a number of possible issues with a machine that age.

Firstly, the thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink tends to dry out over time. I would suggest getting some new thermal paste (local computer supplier should have it or you can get online, it's not expensive), then taking the heatsink off the cpu, cleaning off the old thermal paste and apply new. Also make sure that there isn't a huge amount of dust build up in the cooling fan and also check case fans. If the machine is overheating the cpu will throttle down under heavy load (e.g. games) which would bring fps down.

You should also do the same to the graphics card if that is of similar age.

The other thing that might be making the machine feel sluggish in general is an old hard drive, they tend to get slower over time. The best option there is to replace it with something faster, Sata SSD drives are pretty cheap these days and will be much faster than a standard HDD (which is what I would expect in a machine of that era). Also worth checking is the amount of ram in the system, you really need at least 8gb these days for any modern title (especially if you are running windows 10) and ideally 16gb is better so could be worth a look.

I would need to know the rest of your system specs / what games you are looking to play to comment further but sounds like the machine probably needs a bit of maintenance.

Solution

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
run CC cleaner, your malware scanner of choice, and seriously consider putting at least the OS on an SSD since 120gb only go for about $20 these days. A friend was using my old 1055t Phenom x6 pc as recently as late 2017 before upgrading to Ryzen and it sufficed for AAA games on 1080p paired with an 8gb R9 390, not the best fps ever in mmo single thread stuff I'm sure but still playable. Making sure you have at least 8gb ram is very important too. I'd recommend 16gb if at all possible on your mobo though as well.

The Hero of Orlais

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
I don't know if I need to run a CCCleaner, cause there's a minimum amount of software installed, only a few browser, Steam, and Office, and I don't really play modern games in that rig, just playing some older ones which I used to run it on constant 60fps, but now it dip betwen 30-50fps, it have 8gb of ram, I've monitored the temperature, the CPU hits around 60 degree celsius while it being stress tested, that's kinda bad(?), and I think I might change the thermal paste, but I don't think my R9 270 need a thermal paste replacement though (I never done it anyway, so I really feel uncomfortable to take it apart), and I'll also consider buying a new SSD, thanks for all the reply.