AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE underperforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Good afternoon everyone!

My dad is a tech-savvy person who built my computer about 6-7 years ago for my birthday. Seems like this is a low budget PC. Anyhow, I haven't really been playing any high-end games until recently - Tera, Blade & Soul, ArcheAge, Warface, and Garry's Mod just to name a few. These games aren't really "super high-end games", but still enough to make my computer stutter and lag. All I want is a computer that can handle a game without stutter, lag, and occasional freezes.

Other games I can't play without lag: Crysis 1, Aion, World of Warcraft, Paint the Town Red, Counter Strike: Source/Global Offensive, Unturned, BF3, and Rift.

And yes, I am a fan of MMORPGs :p

Here is my "gaming" rig:
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Black Edition Processor, 3725 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s) (Not using the stock cooler.)
RAM: 8.00 GB (Could be the issue? Will share the information below.)
Motherboard: GA-870A-UD3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Had GTX 780 a few days ago.)
PSU: Corsair 500W (Not sure about the model.)
SSD: Samsung SSD 250 GB (No clue what model, doubt it matters.)

I have been playing around with the CPU - in other words overclocking it, but it doesn't seem to boost my performance in games at all. Now here is the interesting part... the RAM. Whether this is the cause of my horrendous gaming performance, is up for you decide. As I said before, my dad built this PC a long time ago, and it only had 4.00 GB at the time. After my brother upgraded his PC to something better, he didn't need his old RAM.

I took it and installed it into my PC. Of course I noticed this RAM was manufactured by a different company, and didn't have the same speed as mine. Then I checked online and read that you're able to use different brand RAM as long as they're the same speed, so overclocking was probably the solution. However, I am not really sure if I did it correctly. Doesn't seem to be an issue as far as I know.

Here's my RAM: (2x2.00 GB) 1600MHz DDR3 (Manufactured by Corsair),
and here's my brother's RAM: (2x2.00 GB) 1333MHz DDR3 (Manufactured by OCZ).

I overclocked my brother's RAM to fit my current speed, so now they're both running at 1600MHz.

Also, I found some videos on YouTube with people running the same CPU and even worse GPU, and they're able to play Grand Theft Auto: V at around 60 FPS. No idea what's going on here. Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-EJVqhJPw

TL;DR:

Can't play any game without stutter or lag (sometimes even on lowest settings), CPU overclocked from 3.2GHz to 3.725GHz, not using stock cooler, currently using two different RAM brands - Corsair (DDR3 1600MHz) and OCZ (DDR3 1333MHz: now overclocked to 1600MHz), GPU has been changed a trillion times to no avail (GTS 450 > GTX 570 > GTX 780 > GTX 980).

Is it time to upgrade my computer, and if so, could you recommend me an alright CPU that is able to play these games without an issue? My current budget: £425.

As always, any help is really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016

Someone posted a thread earlier about their GTX 1050 with the same CPU, and asked if the CPU would bottleneck the GPU, which someone responded "No, they seem to be alright for each other." Or well, that's how I remembered it to be.

Anyway, yeah... Garry's Mod was lagging even before I installed 8 GB RAM. GTS 450 seems to have almost the same performance as the GTX 980, which I find odd. Maybe a few more frames, but it's barely noticeable.

Also, did you check the YouTube video? He's got a lower graphics card than I do, and GTA seems to be running just fine.

cool take out your old ram and just leave in your brothers ram make sure they are in the 2 and 4th slot then boot up and try a few games.
I had the 1090t for a few years and it was a great little cpu and while it is definitely slowing down that 980 it should be fine in a lot of games

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
What coolcole01 said.

Also, have you checked your CPU & GPU temps when gaming to see if the lags/freezes match up with any temperature spikes? If the CPU is heating up, you may want to try reapplying the thermal paste to your cooler, or replace the CPU cooler. Alternately, make sure you've installed as many case fans as your case will take, & that they're set up in the optimized configuration.

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016

Alright mate, will give it a try. Thanks for the help so far, will see how it goes!

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016

I am kind of new when it comes to checking temperatures and such, but if there's software that you'd recommend, please do so :)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Okay, here are the results after removing the OCZ RAM:

Garry's Mod seems to be running a bit better, but that could also be due to the fact that there aren't many players on that server at this point, or the amount of props has been reduced. As for Aion, I cannot tell a huge difference honestly, I'm running at around 28-40 FPS on main cities, and questing areas are usually at around 50-60 FPS. As for Paint the Town Red, it seems to be running as slow as usual. When I start a fight, I can tell a FPS loss when looking around. But then again, the game is an early access game and could be unstable for most computers, that's my guess.

Another thing I should point out is that the RAM is still running on UNGANGED mode, and I'm not really sure what that implies. Perhaps I should reset the RAM to its original state, although it's always been running at 1600MHz, which it's currently doing. However, other settings might be a bit off since I tried to optimize them to run better with the OCZ RAM. Not sure actually, maybe you guys know.

Will check HWMonitor, but not really sure what to look at!

Modern gaming needs at least 8 and with four you are hampered i have a feeling your original ram might be bad bud. I would get a new at least 8 gb of ram kit and see what happens. Its the cheapest fix you can do at the moment. Unganged is an amd setting for multi tasking ram your good.

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016

That's true, will pick up 8 or 16 GB tomorrow. But now I'm a bit puzzled. Do you think my motherboard can handle DDR3/4 RAM running higher than 1600MHz?

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Also, in case RAM doesn't fix anything, should I go for another CPU? If so, which one would you recommend that doesn't go above my budget limit?

By the way, I'm really thankful for all replies and help you guys have delivered. Can't stress it enough!

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016

You should also see if your chip set driver and graphics driver is up to date because it 6-7 years and if you do keep it up to date good. Also when you have hw monitor open see what the cpu usage at I know the 980 will be bottle necked but see if the cpu in pegged and is all the games you played install on that sdd? or you not sure if it on a hard drive.

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016
[/quotemsg]
You should also see if your chip set driver and graphics driver is up to date because it 6-7 years and if you do keep it up to date good. Also when you have hw monitor open see what the cpu usage at I know the 980 will be bottle necked but see if the cpu in pegged and is all the games you played install on that sdd? or you not sure if it on a hard drive.
[/quotemsg]

At this point I only have an SSD installed, nothing else. My graphics driver is up to date, and as for BIOS, I have no clue. Not really sure how to update it.

Solution

Methax

Commendable
May 9, 2016

I could always look up the individual parts here in Sweden to see if they sell them. Thanks for the suggestion, will keep this in mind if the RAM doesn't solve the issue!

Mar 30, 2019
Hi there. Some times passed out. But Corsair 500W is not enough for your system.
When years passed out then PSU loose some power. So I recommend you at least 650 watt High Power, Enermax, Fsp, Silverstone brands of cpu.
I have similar configuration;
8gb ddr2 1066;
M3n Ht DeluXe,
1090T,
Sigmatek Red Scorpion,
Rx 570
HighPower 750 Watt Psu
and everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS