[SOLVED] AMD Phenom | No BIOS no Image

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Hello all,

Happy New Year! Long time browser; first time poster. Finally made an account and figured I'd ask my info here for any help / troubleshooting.

So I recently picked up a Gateway DX4200-09 with 2GB of DDR2, a 160GB HDD, and an AMD Phenom X4 9100e quad-core CPU.

I like doing fun Linux projects on old home computers that end up going to the recycle bin. This is one way I repurpose old machines to give them a little more extra life.

Anyway! So I picked this machine up yesterday and I should have just fired it up when I first got it before taking it apart and cleaning everything up. That way I could have seen if it booted or not to an image cause now I got nothing lol so it'll create more "could be this / that" scenarios.

It was all gross and dirty and clearly from a smokers home cause even after xlea jng it it still stinks like cigarette residue. I took out the little cooler, took the AMD off, cleaned the SUPER DRY thermal paste and cleaned all the fans and anything I could that had just gunk all over it. I put the Phenom back the way I assumed it was because I didn't see how it originally was on the board as when I took the cooler off it stuck with the CPU. I cleaned the old thermal paste, sat the CPU back (made a crunch noise too but not like I broke it but that it sat in firmly kinda crunch noise), applied new thermal paste and put the cooler back on. I reseated the RAM back where they were and booted up via VGA and HDMI with two different cords on two different monitors and still got nothing.

I popped in a small MSI GPU that doesn't require PSU power and tested HDMI from there and still nothing.

So now I'm stuck and wondering what you all can suggest. Lol Did I break my CPU? Normally when I sit CPUs it's easy with new-age boards because it clamps down but these old boards have no clamps and just a little lever. I took the CPU out after checking and no bent pins and no damage to the socket so what else can I troubleshoot on this old fella? Could it be the PSU? Machine boots and all fans work so I think that's fine. The HDD I'm gonna wipe because I dislike booting to people's HDDs as even though I own it now I feel it's still not my intellectual property. Maybe I should add a new HDD? I just need to see BIOS tbh. So what can I do?

Thanks! If you need more info or pics just let me know!

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Probably bent or broken pins.
The cpu should fall in the socket without any pressure if it is aligned properly.
So I reseated the CPU gently (there was one bent pin that I bent back with tweezers) and reapplies thermal paste and I got an image now.

It seems the onboard HDMI had an issue and I had green lines all over. Added my gpu and it shows me BIOS and all now!

My Linux bootable just isn't booting now but that's a seperate thing I'll figure out. It did a minute ago so it's no biggy.

All good! Thread can be locked now! 🔒 Thank you, TH community! 👍