AMD Phenom x4 955 black edition +msi 970 gaming + GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL)

avinnash09

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
please tell me if the ram i mentioned(GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL)) is compatible with that motherboard and processor. as i wish to buy two of these ram modules(2 x 8gb), i understood that they are compatible with am3 processor and my motherboard, but i checked the gskill site on this ram module page, but exactly my motherboard is not mentioned(while someother 970 mother board is present) and in the motherboard site, exactly this ram is not mentioned(other gskill ram modules are mentioned though) please help me about the compatibility. and i am just one step away from ordering these(i cannot return them if incompatible). thanks in advance.

Solution

The 965 was the first AMD CPU that could fairly reliably run 1600 DRAM, and some could run 1866 generally in smaller amounts2, 4, 8GB. While the mobo plays in the MC of the CPU is the defining factor. Sounds like GSkill is being responsible, a 955 running 16GB of 1600 will likely take a decent OC on the CPU and additional voltage to DRAM, MC and CPU

avinnash09

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

but when i contacted gskill on their website, they replied me in a negative way. they told me that this memory module or the same model kit wont work with my configuration. even i did not expect that answer as looking at the specs i assumed that it shall work. anyway i definitely know that those ram modules work with my mobo, but all the problem is with the cpu i think. i know that my cpu supports ram of 1333 mhz max so i was in a conclusion that these ram modules would work at that lower speed. but i never knew about the max capacity of ram and its dependency on cpu. till now i thought it just depends on the mobo model. can you please tell me if the size of memory is dependent on the cpu?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

The 965 was the first AMD CPU that could fairly reliably run 1600 DRAM, and some could run 1866 generally in smaller amounts2, 4, 8GB. While the mobo plays in the MC of the CPU is the defining factor. Sounds like GSkill is being responsible, a 955 running 16GB of 1600 will likely take a decent OC on the CPU and additional voltage to DRAM, MC and CPU

Solution

TRENDING THREADS