AMD Phenom X4 9600 or AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Foxtai

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I need some advice on what CPU to get for my motherboard. The both are typically the same, but:

AMD Phenom X4 9600: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%209600%20-%20HD9600WCJ4BGD%20(HD9600WCGDBOX).html

AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%209600%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HD960ZWCJ4BGD%20(HD960ZWCGDBOX).html

As you can see, the only difference between the two is that the Black Edition has a multiplier unlocked. I am not sure what the difference is.. and I dont plan on overclocking my processor, so which would be the more ideal one for me to purchase? Naturally, the first one is cheaper, but if the second one makes a difference, I may get that instead.

loneninja

Distinguished

It's technically compatible with your motherboard, AMD made socket AM3 processors backward compatible with AM2+ motherboards, it's all a matter of if the BIOS recognizes and can use it. So if you've got someone on the net saying it worked for them, it will probably work for you too, but I'd still consider it a bit risky as to if it'll work or not.

I did a little research and there seems to be sufficient evidence to say that the Phenom II X4 945 does work in your motherboard. You must be sure to get the 95 watt version though.

You can buy it now at tigerdirect for $99.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4615717&CatId=4431

It's kind of an old CPU but it is still a very good chip. It's currently your best option that has been fully tested and unofficially confirmed to work with your board.

If you do happen to see that the CPU is not working you can return it to Tigerdirect and get a refund if you are within the 30 return period.

Foxtai

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I am going to try and see if I can get the AMD Phenom II X4 950 working on the motherboard. it looks to be AMD2+ compatible, but there will only be one way to find out. If the 940 works on it, is there a good chance the 950 will?

Technically any 95 watt AM3 CPU should work if the Phenom II X4 945 does work. So I do believe that the Phenom II X4 955 might work. The Phenom II X4 940 is a 125 Watt CPU so you can't install that. Also there is no Phenom II X4 950. Make sure you get a 95 Watt AM3 CPU if you plan on trying this. Also don't forget to post the results. I'm curious to see if a Phenom II X4 955 would work. I'm sure other people with your board would appreciate you posting the results.

Those aren't true Phenom II's but are actually re-branded Athlon II's. It would still be a good upgrade for you though. You just won't get the added benefit of an L3 cache. At its default clock speed of 3.3GHz the Phenom II X4 850 should perform like a Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz in most situations. In rare instances the Phenom II x4 945 will really outperform the 850 by a good margin due to its L3 cache.

I just wanted to clarify that this motherboard actually is a socket AM2 motherboard. It's not an AM3 socket motherboard. The absolute only reason that AM3 processors do work is because AMD made it possible for AM2 boards to be forward compatible with AM2+ and AM3 socket processors. It is the bios that actually gives AMD processors their model numbers. The bios in the op's motherboard can't give the CPU a model number because it only knows how to name AM2 CPU's. It is common for AM3 CPU's to work in AM2 motherboards but they usually require a bios update. It is kind of amazing to see that this motherboard doesn't require a bios update to run newer cpu's. It's not the first time I've heard of this type of thing happening though.

Foxtai

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Quick questions. I finally got my cpu and heatsink/fan and I took it out of the box. They came seperate, but when I turned the heatsink over I accidently touched the area where the CPU goes and it has a slight sticky substance on it. Would that be the factory heatsink compound and is it still okay to use even if I touched it a little?

Did any of it come off? It should still be ok. If you notice your temps getting too high you can still apply new thermal compound. It will be safe to try it out.

EDIT: If you have to reapply thermal compund make sure to remove all the old thermal compound first.

Foxtai

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I have come to my first problem it seems. I got my CPU and Fan/heat sink set in, but when I went to plug the power slot into the Motherboard..... the motherboard only has 3 prongs, and the fan has 4 holes. What now?

Foxtai

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I got everything plugged in but it seems that its not booting up (or at least the screen is staying in sleep mode). I am fairly certain all the plugs are in the right places, so the CPU might not be working on the motherboard. Your thoughts?

Is everything properly connected? Make sure your monitor is connected to your video card and not the integrated graphics port. Make sure your RAM is seated properly. Make sure everything that needs power is connected to your power supply. Also be sure you plugged your CPU fan into the CPU_FAN header and not the SYS_FAN header. If you plug your cpu fan into the wrong place your computer might not boot.

You can put your Phenom X4 9600 back into the socket in order to test out your motherboard if you need to. This is assuming that you still have that CPU.

Do the fans spin up when the computer is powered on?

Do you actually have everything you need to use the motherboard? Including RAM? If I could see exactly how everything is installed I could be more helpful. I actually had thought this was a motherboard you were already using until I read some of the older posts.

When you build a new computer sometimes things don't work right away and it's not always easy to figure out why. If you just had an older AM2 CPU to test out your motherboard you could see if the CPU is the problem. As you know... That motherboard wasn't guaranteed to work with an AM3 CPU. We had just saw where people had been able to get a Phenom II X4 945 working in it.