AMD PhenomII X3 710(720BE) 3core --> 4core PhenomII X4 920

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
1 hour of OCCT is good. Its not 100% solid, but its good. Prime95 is worthless, its ancient, and takes too long to find problems. OCCT will encounter a problem WAAAAY faster if its not stable. And usually wont BSOD you like Prime will.

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

I have never had a problem with Prime 95 and OCCT you'll have to run 2 instances of it becuase it only uses 2 threads.

I think we should start a Batch list of X3's that can be turned into X4's

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Following fourth core unlock reports

Demand for AMD three-core Phenom II chips is on the rise, following reports that the fourth core on many units can be activated after fiddling with some bios settings.

Of course, the hack doesn't work on all CPUs, but only certain batches, so consumers can't really expect a 100 percent success rate, but nevertheless, the prospect of a free fourth core seems quite appealing to some.

Of course, AMD refuses to officially comment the three-core to quad-core five-finger discount hack.

Several readers have already contacted us to confirm they managed to succesfully enable the fourth core, and in case you have a three-core Phenom II, and you've tried enabling the disabled core, we would like to hear from you.

More here.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12271&Itemid=1

for those that did not believe that AMD would do such a thing, well they just won the heart and mind of every a computer enthusiast out there. nobs should think things through

LOL this guys is better than reality TV :pt1cable:

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

OCCT uses 4 cores.....

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Awesome... well that pretty much proves it for me. seems like it is the real deal for a handful of these processors... makes me wonder why the hell AMD disabled the 4th core if it was not factory defunk like they said....

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

only a few of them are accually defected in a batch. SO lets say they test 20 CPU cores out of 75. And 5 are bad they scrap that line up and send it to the X3 line.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
No one has mentioned this, but it would appear as though their new 45nm process is getting decent yields, then, also. If enough are still good as quads in "bad" batches, their yields must be doing well.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Maybe for marketing purposes?

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Well, I tried to explain how I was told by people I knew in manufacturing how QA worked, and what might have happened.

But, I got shot down.

Seems that people don't believe AMD would take a lot/group/tray of processors that a certain number tested them bad and take them to the X3 testing line to see if they qualify enough.

I guess people think they test every processor, make only 1 type per manufacturing line, and just throw out what doesn't do exactly what they want them to.

Oh well.

I just think it's funny...there was a way to lock/unlock the core(s)...and, a BIOS maker implemented it as a feature.

WTG AMI :lol:

To be honest? I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was able to be done with some of the dual cores that will come out...unless AMD changes their manufacturing process. They set the on-die ACC to only talk to a certain # of cores...but when the motherboard (790 chipset) ACC takes over, then it talks to all the cores on Auto.

Be cool if you could buy a dual core and it be quad :lol:

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Hahaha...I got shot down for saying that pages ago.

Guess my input didn't matter :lol:

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
BTW, everyone...update:

The X3 720 Athlon Phenom II 2.8GHz processor is here.
lot number: 0904EPMW

So, the board gets here tomorrow. Then, I gotta head to my parents overnight. They want to see me for my birthday...2 days late...but, they're my parents.

So on Saturday, I will start working on taking out the Phenom X4 9850 and putting in the Phenom II X3 720. And, I have the camera out. Will take as many pics as I can.

I also have the following tools downloaded:

3DMark06 Basic
Prime95
Heavyload

to test it with.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Still, the 720 is an awesome chip regardless of the extra core or not and if this gets people back into trying AMD then we all win (yes even you Intel fanboy's win). I like this new approach where you get what you paid for but you may just get something extra. Kind of like opening up a cracker jack box and getting that diamond ring.
Imagine if only 5% of the people are able to unlock this feature and the free press that goes with it.
"I know a friend of a friend who bought one their three cores and they were able to unlock it to a four core and... It ran stable at 3.2!"
Smart, simple, and nothing Intel can really do about it. Officially it was an accident but unofficially it was a smart marketing move.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Oh I agree. I am ready to see if my chip unlocks and overclocks too.

If so, then I will be super happy.

If not, then I am okay with it. At least I got a chip that (according to some sources) is clocking up to 3.5? better than the 3.0 I have on my 9850 :D

effgee

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

Lesson learned, hopefully: be patient, don't act belligerent, wait for facts prior to passing judgment.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11521/amd_steps_in_on_unlocking_phenom_x3_s/index.html

While it appears that news pertaining to unlocking the fourth core has caused a surge in demand for the Phenom II X3 CPU's, AMD seems determined to rain down on enthusiasts. AMD has requested motherboard manufacturers to fix the BIOS option immediately and even gone so far as to ask them to not release motherboards with the so-called "buggy" BIOS.

AMD fears they are missing out on profits from the higher priced Phenom II X4 procs. This is probably true but everyone at AMD should have seen this coming when they dangled a part in front of consumers with features disabled that is identical to its higher priced offerings.

The party will be over soon, unless you find some old stable BIOS or already own a "hacked" rig (and pray not to have any CPU/BIOS issues).

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Like I said earlier in this thread, this is a double edged sword for AMD. While it boost low price X3 sales, its going to hurt higher priced X4 sales.

Well, if you just are getting the board it won't have the "corrected" BIOS. The BIOSes on the boards is usually quite old.

Also to an earlier post, the temp sensors in Phenom IIs is quite weird. There is only 1 (so no core temps) and they are calibrated weird (I'm not sure anyone knows how to read them).

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

I would think if you went and downloaded the BIOS flash that currently does it for your mobo, it won't matter...unless mobo makers are now doing remote updates?

Plus, there will probably be some hacks...at least I hope...for the 890 BIOS.

What's really great is: that 790 mobo I just bought, once the BIOS fix is published and the old "buggy" BIOS is replaced...becomes valuable...at least to people who don't know how to do/get BIOS hacks/older BIOS versions.

BTW, I am getting kinda worried. I logged into NewEgg this morning, and saw this shipping status for the mobo:

02/26/2009 14:25:00 IN TRANSIT TO BROOKSVILLE, FL, US

2:25pm it left Jacksonville, FL...and status hadn't been updated as of this morning at the destination.
This does not bode well. I might call UPS and make sure it is getting delivered today. If not, I will not be a happy camper as I've reserved part of my weekend to see if this works.

UPDATE: The mobo is going to my house!

02/27/2009 08:00:00 OUT FOR DELIVERY BROOKSVILLE, FL, US

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

You're absolutely right...especially when it comes to the 810 x4 vs 710 x3. They are basically the same CPU.

Of course if the x3 comes from the same manufacturing line as the x4, it means AMD is still making money on x3s that come from the x4 process. Otherwise, they wouldn't be selling x3s from that manufacturing process. Their profit margin is just going to take a hit. And after the current stock of x3s are depleted, AMD might have changed the process and fixed it so no BIOS can touch that core. That will make those CPUs on Ebay even more costly if they unlock with the right mobo/bios.

AMD needs to learn their lesson from this, and make part of the process to physically disconnect the core on-die rather than make it a setting that can be reversed/ignored.

I just wish I could figure out how to implement a software ACC from the OS. It's probably not even possible, but it'd be cool to be able to boot into the OS, and flip on the 4th core :lol: