News AMD Phoenix-Powered Mini-PC Packs USB4 For eGPUs

cyrusfox

Distinguished
As a barebones the price seems reasonable, and usb4 as a path if needed to get more if the igpu is lacking, but for me it would be more than sufficient(Does it do AV1 decode?). The only item that personally gives me pause is platform support and fears of instability. Even if Intel is slower and less efficient, my experience has been rock stable on Big Blue platforms. On my AMD platforms the issue has always been around USB and peripheries(Sound drivers, web cams, random BSOD), and lack of bios updates a year after release. Intel platforms seem to receive long tail support by comparison.

I really don't understand AMD product naming/number as well. How does a 7840HS performs compared to there mainline desktop line (7700/7800/7900/7950 and the X3D variants)? Also how does it stack up against Intel especially a 13900(what I currently drive)? CPU passmark link, a bit slower than all
Intel seems to give you clear indication where it lands with naming along, mobile to desktop comparison has been pretty equivalent with alder/raptor lake. Meteor lake and the ultra convention is going to break that...

May 22, 2023
That's NOT a lion, but a tiger.

The images are not the best in the world, but I could see right away it is a tiger on the top of the case.

May 22, 2023
On the other hand, this mini-computer puts the one I bought a little over a year ago to shame. It's more powerful and costs less in its top configuration than mine ended up costing me once fully equipped, and I bought the top of the line a year ago. And it can't do some of the things this one can do right out of the box.