AMD Piledriver Cores to Use Energy Recovery Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now if only AMD could get Drag Reduction System (DRS) going and up their instructions-per-cycle we could have a great race!

[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]But will it best a 2500k?[/citation]

Will the HD4K best the iGPU inside Trinity?

Trade offs mate, trade offs. Trinity is not aimed to the mid/high segments... At least, they should not be :p

Cheers!

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Will the HD4K best the iGPU inside Trinity?Trade offs mate, trade offs. Trinity is not aimed to the mid/high segments... At least, they should not be Cheers![/citation]

I'm not sure they need trade offs. Bulldozer is fine as it is for the most of us. They just need to lower TDP and stuck it in Trinity.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]First beat Intel in performance, then you can get to do power optimization :][/citation]
optimizing power consumption goes hand in hand with performance, If you use so much power that heat goes through the roof to get that performance, then it's not practical. Lower power consumption (lower heat) means higher clocks and more room to improve performance.

PhunkySKunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]jpl546[/nom]Now if only AMD could get Drag Reduction System (DRS) going and up their instructions-per-cycle we could have a great race![/citation]

I like what you did there ;)

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]amd is making bold claims about power efficiency again.hopefully they'll do it right this time and not blame on everything else like they did with bulldozer.[/citation]
Their mobile APUs are actually already fairly power efficient. I hope this trend continues and extends a bit into desktop mid-range territory.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Will the HD4K best the iGPU inside Trinity?Trade offs mate, trade offs. Trinity is not aimed to the mid/high segments... At least, they should not be Cheers![/citation]
actually they are aimed at mid-segments

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]First beat Intel in performance, then you can get to do power optimization :][/citation]

Fine, I'll smash your fancy i5 2500k with my dual Netburst Xeon 5080 bathed in liquid helium and clocked at 8 GHz. What now?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Fine, I'll smash your fancy i5 2500k with my dual Netburst Xeon 5080 bathed in liquid helium and clocked at 8 GHz. What now?[/citation]
I'm sure your power bill would hate you and it's not healthy to compete against one self (intel vs intel) :lol:

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
As usual, Intel advertising and marketing practices from 10 years ago will somehow stifle AMD's breakneck innovation. Because as Tom's readership knows, AMD's chips would be perfect if Dell hadn't sold Intel processors.

juan83

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]But will it best a 2500k?[/citation]

Maybe, saving power they may be able to reach more Ghz and pull all cores beyond 4Ghz (or even more) wich can make it more competitive against intel. plus, if they improve the ipc, you gonna get a real fast cpu to really leave behind phenom.

by now, we have to wait and see.. at the end, all this translates in more power for less money for us!

mr_wobbles

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I still dont see why people whine and complain about how Bulldozer was awful. If you want to start Intel fanfag-raging go ahead. If you guys havent noticed, not all PC gamers have 1500$+ rigs. I WISH I could have something as epic as Bulldozer in my laptop, but my current CPU (AMD Phenom X4 N950 @ 2.1 ghz) doesnt get maxed out in any game I have, and Ive got BF3, Anno 2070 and many others. I see no reason why you would spend the 80-110$ more on an i5 2500K than on a Zambezi , which my friend has and hasnt had a single problem. GO AMD!!! Lets hope for a good year from AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.