News AMD Plants Big Navi Radeon 6000 Easter Egg in Fortnite

That's really strange. I would've expected AMD to be intimidated by nVidia's amazing launch of the RTX 3000 series but this would seem to be the antithesis of that. Did ATi pull a rabbit out of their hat? If ATi cooked up something good and there's a mole at AMD, then nVidia's sudden "conscience" when it comes to pricing makes sense. I'm not getting my hopes up though. If they do, great. If they don't, then we're no worse off than we were before so why worry?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
AMD isnt going to win anything this time IMO , because now we can game with acceptable frame rates with raytracing enabled .. and I dont think that AMD can perfect raytracing from their first release even if they tried to do it.

Even if they succeed in reaching 30 tflops (which I doubt) ,, they cant compete in raytracing from the first time.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
That's really strange. I would've expected AMD to be intimidated by nVidia's amazing launch of the RTX 3000 series but this would seem to be the antithesis of that. Did ATi pull a rabbit out of their hat? If ATi cooked up something good and there's a mole at AMD, then nVidia's sudden "conscience" when it comes to pricing makes sense. I'm not getting my hopes up though. If they do, great. If they don't, then we're no worse off than we were before so why worry?
Well, if they are intimidated, so what? They have to release Big Navi, even if they know it can't compete.

Reactions: Chung Leong

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
It's going to have to be something pretty danged special if they're going to best Nvidia's 30xx line. If the benchmarks hold up to the specs, Nvidia have crafted another legendary GPU.

Reactions: Gurg

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016

The only real performance uplift that matters in the 3000 series is ray tracing performance and that's a matter of just adding more rt hardware...

So we don't know what amd has obviously but surely amd knew the general performance gains nVidia was going for.

Watching nvidias unveil was exciting..but they didn't really provide any game benchmarks they just said it's this much better than that. So it's very possible that big navi could go toe to toe with the 3080.

Also don't forget amd has their own equivalent to DLSS along with plenty of other tech from the consoles that will absolutely be in whatever we get on pc.. but it will be amplified. So I wouldn't write them off quite yet. Even if they didn't match the 3080 this time I'd wager that they would absolutely be able to go toe to toe with the 4000 series.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
What benchmarks? Doom? Ooooooh. I can run doom at 4k max settings at 100+fps on my 2080ti ftw3. That's with +150 core +600 men. I can go up to +1000 mem.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
The only real performance uplift that matters in the 3000 series is ray tracing performance and that's a matter of just adding more rt hardware...

So we don't know what amd has obviously but surely amd knew the general performance gains nVidia was going for.

Watching nvidias unveil was exciting..but they didn't really provide any game benchmarks they just said it's this much better than that. So it's very possible that big navi could go toe to toe with the 3080.

Also don't forget amd has their own equivalent to DLSS along with plenty of other tech from the consoles that will absolutely be in whatever we get on pc.. but it will be amplified. So I wouldn't write them off quite yet. Even if they didn't match the 3080 this time I'd wager that they would absolutely be able to go toe to toe with the 4000 series.
The thing is, however non-descriptive Nvidia truly was with the RTX 3000 reveal (as in, they said x new card is x amound faster than x old card) - AMD has given us no details about Big Navi. And over the last 2 years (IE Turing), Nvidia has released many more GPUs and added important features like DLSS 2.0 - AMD hasn't done anything like that yet. I'm not saying they won't, but they haven't done so already.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
AMD isnt going to win anything this time IMO , because now we can game with acceptable frame rates with raytracing enabled .. and I dont think that AMD can perfect raytracing from their first release even if they tried to do it.

Even if they succeed in reaching 30 tflops (which I doubt) ,, they cant compete in raytracing from the first time.
IMHO most of us don't care about raytracing - the only reason we think about it so much is because Nvidia always is hyping it up and portraying it as the next best thing. I mean, I like to see more graphical effects and stuff - but I care more about raw performance. I'd rather see a 10% increase in performance from one card to the next than say, 30% ncrease in ray tracing performance. But I do agree - I don't think AMD will match Nvidia in RT - performance maybe though. If I had to guess, they'll probably have a form of ray-tracing that barely impacts performance compared to Nvidia's RT, but it won't look as good.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
IMHO most of us don't care about raytracing - the only reason we think about it so much is because Nvidia always is hyping it up and portraying it as the next best thing. I mean, I like to see more graphical effects and stuff - but I care more about raw performance. I'd rather see a 10% increase in performance from one card to the next than say, 30% ncrease in ray tracing performance. But I do agree - I don't think AMD will match Nvidia in RT - performance maybe though. If I had to guess, they'll probably have a form of ray-tracing that barely impacts performance compared to Nvidia's RT, but it won't look as good.

Raytracing can bring alot more eye candy than we saw in older gen .. but the devs did not bother to fully use it because they had no room for it , would run at less than 30fps even with RTX 2080 ti ...

It is a different story now and I think we will see more eye candy in future games that will surprise us all.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
AMD better pull something great out of a hat if they don't want to see their 20% market share vanish in a puff of smoke

Wont happen , they are not depending on the GPU market much , their success is in the CPU and in the console market ...

Actually with their APU being used in both Xbox x and PS5 for the next FIVE years , I think their market share will increase regardless of what happens in the GPU market. Consoles sales are alot more than gaming PC sales

Sep 4, 2020
The amount of Nvidia shills here.. shows how much people have forgotten that AMD can make up shortfalls... AMD is now the go to CPU for building... Its only a matter of time before they're able to bridge that gap in the GPU department
My 5700XT was $375 and pushes 1440P 144Hz performance and is cheaper than the equivalent 2070S

Current PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k 5.0Ghz all core OC
GPU: XFX THICC III RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz
MB: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus

Reactions: Shadowclash10

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
The amount of Nvidia shills here.. shows how much people have forgotten that AMD can make up shortfalls... AMD is now the go to CPU for building... Its only a matter of time before they're able to bridge that gap in the GPU department
My 5700XT was $375 and pushes 1440P 144Hz performance and is cheaper than the equivalent 2070S

Current PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k 5.0Ghz all core OC
GPU: XFX THICC III RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz
MB: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Yeah true. But fact of the matter is that they haven't showed anything/leaked anything substantial - which makes us all a bit.... hesitant? The 5700 XT was great - but if Ampere is all that/or even close to what Nvidia said it's gonna be - both Turing and the already out Big Navi cards (the RX 5000 is technicall Big Navi, right?) are done for.

Wont happen , they are not depending on the GPU market much , their success is in the CPU and in the console market ...

Actually with their APU being used in both Xbox x and PS5 for the next FIVE years , I think their market share will increase regardless of what happens in the GPU market. Consoles sales are alot more than gaming PC sales
I don't understand, you are saying AMD's discrete GPU market share won't shrink because they don't depend on the GPU market much. That makes no sense.

Oh I'm quite aware of what ATi can come up with (my cards have been 4870->7970->R9 Fury->RX 5700 XT since 2008) since my first card was an ATi EGA Wonder back in 1988. I'm just wondering if AMD's marketing is being silent because ATi's new GPU is really good or really bad. They under-hyped Zen and it was (clearly) amazing but they over-hyped Vega and Radeon VII which ended up being somewhat of a disappointment (for Vega anyway, since R VII isn't a gaming card). Could the silence surrounding RDNA2 indicate another smash-hit like Zen was?
The thing is, however non-descriptive Nvidia truly was with the RTX 3000 reveal (as in, they said x new card is x amound faster than x old card) - AMD has given us no details about Big Navi. And over the last 2 years (IE Turing), Nvidia has released many more GPUs and added important features like DLSS 2.0 - AMD hasn't done anything like that yet. I'm not saying they won't, but they haven't done so already.
Digital Foundry wasn't so vague but at the same time, I have a hard time trusting a review that has been given special treatment by nVidia by letting them be first to get their hands on it weeks before anyone else does.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-twYtaBdlU

Last edited:

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Oh I'm quite aware of what ATi can come up with (my cards have been 4870->7970->R9 Fury->RX 5700 XT since 2008) since my first card was an ATi EGA Wonder back in 1988. I'm just wondering if AMD's marketing is being silent because ATi's new GPU is really good or really bad. They under-hyped Zen and it was (clearly) amazing but they over-hyped Vega and Radeon VII which ended up being somewhat of a disappointment (for Vega anyway, since R VII isn't a gaming card). Could the silence surrounding RDNA2 indicate another smash-hit like Zen was?

Digital Foundry wasn't so vague but at the same time, I have a hard time trusting a review that has been given special treatment by nVidia by letting them be first to get their hands on it weeks before anyone else does.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA
I'd like to believe that they'll release a very good card. All the same, why'd they underhype Zen anyway? They've barely hyped up Navi - esp compared to how many RTX 3000s rumors we've got, and stuff like that. Excluding the reveal, the RTX 3000s has been one of the hot topic since like May - on most tech outlets.

I can see why you're hesitant - actually though it makes sense that they only offered a preview to one reviewer (it'll get the same press regardless, but it simplifies things for Nvidia) - what I don't know is why specifically Digital Foundry - why not Gamer's Nexus or something? All the same, Digital Foundry is pretty respected.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I look forward to seeing what AMD has coming. Prior to purchasing my Nvidia 1070, I had an AMD 7950. Specs matter more than some brand loyalty. There have been random leaks throughout the year that show AMD should have something competitive with the 3080. Having AMD so dominant in the console space also helps given that most games are just console ports.

I'm always suspicious of streamer or Fortnite marketing though.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

TRENDING THREADS