News AMD Posts 70% Year-Over-Year Revenue Increase as Sales of EPYC CPUs Skyrocket

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
The numbers do not add up, or you might be writing for the wrong audience, not the United States.

AMD earned $6.550 billion in Q2; net income dropped to $447 million

and

the company's main cash cow in Q2 with $2,152 billion revenue

So in the first quote we are talking 6 billion 550 million in sales and fees, and 447 million in net income. In the second quote we are talking 2 trillion 152 billion, due to a comma, and not a decimal point. Two trillion is more than 30 times greater than six billion. Or is there something else that I did not see ? Sales and fees, earned, and revenue are the same are they not, for this articale? That is before expenses, such as advertising, rebates, promotions, salaries, rents and montages, and other deductions and operating costs, to give us the net income.

Intel failed to attribute their record losses to the competition, yet this shows what Intel is trying to hide from their investors.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Intel's data center chip sales slide amid bleak Q2 earnings results

"Intel said that the poor results were mostly due to a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption and “competitive pressures.”"

Looks like they did to me.

HAHA, yes AMD did create competitive pressure for Intel. Intel's datacenter and AI revenue down 16%, thats around 700million... Pretty close with 600+ mil rise from AMD..

Of course AMD isn't the only factor but its definitely one of the most significant factor.

Reactions: drajitsh

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

"Intel said that the poor results were mostly due to a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption and “competitive pressures.”"

I think to some extend, Intel is right (although they have been using this as an excuse for a few quarters now). I guess besides the point that AMD's product is very competitive now, the other 2 reasons may be
  1. AMD's market share is small. So there is a lot of room to expand as they have proved to produce competitive and yet well priced products
  2. Intel have been delaying a lot of their products, which may result in less sales now as companies wait for newer products. After waiting for some time, I guess some may actually jump ship instead of waiting further.

Intel's dominance has been chipped away by AMD and ARM for some years now. In the recent year, we start to see that it is impacting their bottom line in a more tangible way now. I actually don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for Intel unless they suddenly come up with a miracle product that smokes all their competitors in every metric.

Reactions: bit_user
Wasn't AMD also supposed to have a terrible quarter beause Intel did? What happened, AMD? Why do you disappoint people like that?

Heh.

Sarcasm aside, I can only say it was a good showing for sure. Their aquisitions have really paid off it seems, which is showing in their server market penetration. Once they start taking away long-term contracts from Intel, they'll be in longevity territory for sure (if they haven't already!). What I mean by this, is not depending on new sells, but get into the long-term re-deployment cycles that Dell, HP and other SI's do with big Corp.

I'll have a closer look at the numbers and see if I can find anything interesting around the consumer stuffs.

Regards.

Reactions: LuxZg

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020

Notice that even when they do admit to competitive pressure it is more of an afterthought, not in the top three reasons given. While I gladly give Joe Biden and the democrats credit for high inflation, a recession, high gas prices, and a number of other less than desirable things, Intel has to accept some responsibility at some point, they can not run a company like Biden is running the country - with denial and blaming everything and everyone else, and expect to remain a viable company.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Notice that even when they do admit to competitive pressure it is more of an afterthought, not in the top three reasons given.
Don't hurt yourself stretching so hard to find something negative to say when you were proven wrong. Not in the top 3 things? One, that wasn't a direct quote in the article, so we don't know what order Intel said it, and two, there's only 3 things listed, how do you figure competition is not in the top 3 reasons given when only 3 reasons are listed?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
there's only 3 things listed, how do you figure competition is not in the top 3 reasons given when only 3 reasons are listed?
come on spongiemaster, even you should know there is NO way intel would ever admit that they lost sales to amd. even if every one knew it, and proved it, intel would never admit it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
As far as I recall, they have pushed the blame to overstocking and economy slowdown for the last 2 to 3Q. Unfortunately, I feel their decline will continue since they have been missing their product release timeline, and AMD and ARM are hot on their heels.

Reactions: bit_user

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
come on spongiemaster, even you should know there is NO way intel would ever admit that they lost sales to amd. even if every one knew it, and proved it, intel would never admit it.
What? Intel listed 3 things that have hurt their sales. One of them is competitive pressures. What exactly do you think they meant by competitive pressures if it wasn't AMD?

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I was counting supply chain and inventory disruption as two separate items since they saw fit to list them separately and did not just leave it as supply chain, and then the economy. In other articles, and outlets, they do not even mention competition, so I am not going based on just one article, or one quotation.

As for wrong, I don't care, I have taken the Joe Biden class on making myself look good while hiding in a basement.

And I am giving them some credit, I was calling then Until until recently. They have spent so much time perfecting the 14nm die (how many pluses does it have now?) that they are calling it a 7nm equivalent, and are back in the race on the desktop again.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
What? Intel listed 3 things that have hurt their sales. One of them is competitive pressures. What exactly do you think they meant by competitive pressures if it wasn't AMD?
um did you not say " there's only 3 things listed, how do you figure competition is not in the top 3 reasons given when only 3 reasons are listed? " from the article YOU linked to : " the poor results were mostly due to a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption and “competitive pressures. " there are only 4 things listed, the competitive pressures would be #4 . my point is, intel would never come flat out and say they that lost sales to AMD. the top 3 according to you is 1) weakened economy, 2) supply chain and 3) inventory disruption. Awev is pretty much saying it in post #8

Don't hurt yourself stretching so hard to find something positive to say when you were proven wrong.

competitive pressure really should be #2 or 3, not seemingly an after thought, " while we blame our poor results on a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption, there could be a possibility that competition may also have something to do with our poor results."
NO one i know is looking at intel for a cpu right now. ( a few could care less about the ecores, and see it as a way for intel to keep its power usage and heat down, as it cant really do more then 8 cores due to power and heat, while attempting to keep thread parity with amd ) some are still looking at Zen 3, and some are waiting for Zen 4. they have also given up and the great prospect that was Arc. and dont even care about that line any more. and now with the posts about and AIB partner stopping Arc graphics card production due to quality concerns, as well as the other rumor that arc has been cancelled, IF any of the current rumors are true, it doesnt look all that good for intel at the moment. but i am sure you will come up with something to refute any thing negative against intel, as usual.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
um did you not say " there's only 3 things listed, how do you figure competition is not in the top 3 reasons given when only 3 reasons are listed? " from the article YOU linked to : " the poor results were mostly due to a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption and “competitive pressures. " there are only 4 things listed, the competitive pressures would be #4 . my point is, intel would never come flat out and say they that lost sales to AMD. the top 3 according to you is 1) weakened economy, 2) supply chain and 3) inventory disruption. Awev is pretty much saying it in post #8

Don't hurt yourself stretching so hard to find something positive to say when you were proven wrong.
That's not how English works. 3 reasons were listed, not 4. Not going to argue this ridiculous point anymore.

competitive pressure really should be #2 or 3, not seemingly an after thought, " while we blame our poor results on a weakened economy, supply chain and inventory disruption, there could be a possibility that competition may also have something to do with our poor results."
Who cares? Are you an Intel stock holder? There is only one reason Intel is in the position they are today, and it has nothing to do with AMD, and they didn't say it in their quarterly results either. Intel's inability to execute their roadmap is far and away the biggest drag on their financials. If Intel had released Sapphire Rapids on time a year ago, this past quarter doesn't happen. If Intel releases products on schedule instead of years late launch after launch, then Intel doesn't need to concern themselves with "competitive pressures." Every other reason is a distant 2nd.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
That's not how English works. 3 reasons were listed, not 4. Not going to argue this ridiculous point anymore.
then you need to learn how to count, those i have showed this to also say 4 reasons were given.

well intel better start releasing things on time VERY soon, as it stands, the last few years, intel has been a JOKE. 10nm was so late it wasnt funny, Arc, late as well, and most dont seem to really care about it any more.

just like intel, you wont even admit that amd IS part of the reason intel has had a bad quarter. if intel is not realeasing things on time, guess where those lost sales go ? but what ever spongiemaster. you keep believing what intel tells you.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Folks, we are forgetting one important thing, well, maybe two.

First, you can save a hundred million dollars by switching from Intel to AMD - 700 million loss by Intel is more than the 600 million gain from AMD, so you are saving 14.5% or only paying 85.5% of Intel's asking price for something better . And this without confusing your American audience with replacing a comma as a separator with a decimal as done in Europe with the metric system. No, I do not know pricing for either company, yet it would be nice to see things reported in units sold or shipped, not just the dollar losses, so I am only going with what I have in front of me, and making assumptions such as everything else is equal, which clearly is not the case - Intel charges more for less, etc., see the second reason below.

Second, you get better everything - power, performance, cores, a newer x86 architect, etc. by switching to/going with AMD

Competition is good for most everyone, except the person or company loosing that is not able to recover. I do not think that Intel is such a small company that they can not recover in the server, HEDT (High End Desk Top), and HPC (High Performance Computer) markets - they have clearly recovered in the consumer market. Ten plus years ago AMD had stumbled, and in a big way. Now we see competition on the x86 CPU and the GPU (both integrated and discrete) chip fronts thanks to AMD willing to take the hard lessons learned and fight back.

So, we now have the following, in the x86 world of things:
  • AMD with Zen and RDNA
  • Intel with iCore and Xe
  • Nvidia with RTX, with possibly ARM in the non-x86 CPU market
To quote Joe Walsh from a song of his - "Life has been good to me so far" :D

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Intel listed 3 things that have hurt their sales. One of them is competitive pressures. What exactly do you think they meant by competitive pressures if it wasn't AMD?
ARM is up to something like 10% of server marketshare, so that's definitely one of them and not far behind AMD.

ARM is also hurting them in the Chromebook segment. Also, I wonder if 2023 is finally the year where Windows on ARM gains a bit of traction. I think Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 is pretty unimpressive and overpriced, but MediaTek could launch a compelling mid-market offering, and then Nuvia's cores should finally offer some Apple-scale performance.

TRENDING THREADS