AMD Posts Catalyst 14.9 WHQL Display Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The release notes mention some known issues, and some of them bother me. Can anyone tell if it is a source of concern?

Known Issues
[404829]: Horizontal flashing lines on second screen in a clone mode with V-Sync on using AMD Mobility Graphics with Switchable Intel Graphics
[404508]: Display takes a long time to redraw the screen after an S4 cycle
[405432]: Mantle driver will TDR when running Star Swarm on the loading screen
[404660]: GPU gets stuck in a low power state after it was previously stressed to max power
[403032]: Severe flickering observed on default launch of SimCity 4
[403449]: Playing any media sample in full screen in the 2x1/1x2 Fill SLS configuration leads to TDR
[400573]: Intermittent application hang observed while launching Aliens vs. Predator
[400693]: While running performance test, crash is observed with fault module atidxx32.dll
[401386]: Severe corruption and flashing light observed with specific game settings in Grid 2
[401289]: Flashing lights in Batman Arkham Origins game main menu

This is actually a really small list of issues. These noted issues include all video cards in amd's lineup. This means that you can expect that only a small portion of amd cards will actually have these issues. Most of these are probably from the old cards nearing end of life.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

They didn't. Experiencing this right now on my personal machine (currently on the wife's). Re-installing Windows is agony. :'(

funkdat

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Updated the driver and now I get a BSOD when waking from sleep. Event log and DX file both point to AMD. I never have this kind of trouble with my Nvidia cards. I really need to sell my 290X and get a 980. It's worth it just for the more stable drivers alone.

ShawnT007

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
running 290x in crossfire, on 4k. Installed this driver, now my computer freezes whenever i launch a game in crossfire mode. Tried to uninstall, computer locks up during uninstall. I am just about done with AMD.

wekilledkenny

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
"it's good to add that it is also available for linux."
Yeah, but is the linux driver WHQL-certified? /jk.
SteamOS is still not supported with AMD's drivers.
Installed the driver yesterday on both the laptop (with dual graphics 7660+7670) and the desktop (single 7850), had only one minor issue with DFP scaling resetting to -8% from 0 on the laptop when outputting to a monitor over HDMI, quickly fixed it though. I am running 64-bit Windowses 7.

crabbypatties

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
This is the first time a full catalyst install package has worked for me and remained stable. Previous attempts have all results in a black screen lockup requiring hard reboot. Stability previously only possible with 14.4 driver only. This package has a big +1 from me personally.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
I really wish they'd add crossfire support on Windowed gaming.

I really don't like turning V-sync on and I hate screen tearing too.

Borderless windowed gaming should be added to all games to make it easier.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Damn, still get the display standby issue with my R9 290. Basically the display sometimes does not wake up if it goes standby.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Yeah I was getting this a lot often after the 14.9 driver updates as well. I just turned off the turning off monitor after a certain amount of time feature. It was bugging the hell out of me that I had to restart every time the screen goes blank.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

All previous drivers had this, but with 14.4 it only happened very rarely. According to the Known Issue as of now with Catalyst Drivers:

"[404660]: GPU gets stuck in a low power state after it was previously stressed to max power"

I think this is the issue we are facing.

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I had the same problem with my HIS HD 5750. Right now, I'm using my IGP just so I can look for a replacement for my poor card. The card was working fine till I installed 14.9. Be careful if you're using the 14.9 drivers. My GPU seems to have developed hardware issues after this update.

I formatted my PC and reinstalled Windows 8.1 on it, with 14.4. I kept getting blank gray screens during media playback, with a looping sound in the background. Had to restart my PC every time. Then earlier today, I was browsing AMD's website when my monitor gave me a "No Signal" error and I had to reset my PC to get it working again.

I wasn't having any issues with the 14.4 (and earlier) drivers and I play games like Planetside 2, SWTOR, MWO, a lot.

Kashif Malim

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
It started with TDRs first on Win 7 64-bit, then on Win 8 64-bit. Now, I'm not sure if I should consider the R9 270 to replace my GPU or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.