AMD Posts Highest Net Income In Seven Years, Fights Off Crypto Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad AMD is going to be around for the long game. Had some worries on the time between Ryzen and when they would have Zen 2 on 7nm. Looks like they are doing just fine. When they do get Zen 2 out it will be a game changer for them. It not only should make them much more competitive in the desktop market, it will be a huge boon on power per watt in the server market.

So glad there is competition in the CPU market. I mean we have 8-cores from AMD in the desktop space and soon to release 8-cores from Intel in the desktop non-hedt space. All over the course of a year or so we went from 4 to 8 cores.

5nm will probably require a new socket/motherboard. But 7nm is coming next and is a worthy upgrade to first gen Ryzen. It'll have higher clock speeds.

kalmquist

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
So Zen 2 chips are going to be manufactured at both TSMC and Global Foundries? As I understand it, the Wafer Supply Agreement means that AMD has to manufacture Zen 2 at Global Foundries or face a large financial penalty. Producing the same design at two different companies is expensive because process differences mean that moving a design from one company to another requires (at a minimum) a complete retesting of the chip. But it will be worth it to AMD if the demand for Zen 2 ends up exceeding Global Foundries' manufacturing capacity.

Seems to be the case. Ryzen will be Gloflo and EPYC will be TSMC I assume Threadripper will also be TSMC. This was a good choice as the server chips don't need to hit super high clocks and TSMC is great at dealing with large chips plus the extra chip making capacity will be a boon for AMD. Ryzen though will need high boost clocks to compete with Intel and GloFlos 7nm was built with very high clocks in mind so it should serv Ryzen very well. Lisa Su is making every right choice these days.

alextheblue

Distinguished

The agreement requires them to buy a certain amount of wafers, IIRC. So if they're still producing some products on GloFo and hitting those numbers, they're in the clear.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Glad to see they are doing well. Competition is always good for market. I am also waiting for upgrade and after almost 15 years or so, I might switch to AMD for CPU and GPU both.

Bye bye Intel and nVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.