AMD Posts its Catalyst 14.7 RC Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Appears a cure for Assassin's Creed 4 also...93% is about what you get turning a 2nd card on at all right?...So basically ONE was working before this driver if you had two, now you get both. Well, at least they're fixing things for this gen so far (unlike the dx9/dx10 from last gen getting left in the lurch).

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Still cant use Crossfire on my 290s for watch dogs, the uneven framerates have yet to be fixed. Now, I know Watch Dogs is pretty much a mess no matter how you look at it, but Nvidia solved SLI scaling with it a while ago.....maybe GameWorks is more crippling to AMD than most have thought....

It is not Gameworks. SLI and CFX are at the driver level, even NVidia had to disable SLI for a short time to fix the scaling issues.

AMD is just using it as a way to dig up some flame wars and hopefully get people to switch to them and do the "NVidia is bad" thing. Truth is, AMD has the ability to work with the devs. Sure they have to get in early so as to get in when the source code is new and fresh but they have the ability to, no one is stopping them.

I really wish they would just shut up and work harder on making better drivers like they had when ATI released the 9700Pro.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
amd drivers are pretty damn solid if you don't do multiple gpu setups. i tried multiple gpu setup 3 times, and it's very inconsistent. too much of a headache.

jblosun

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
I've downloaded this a few times since it was released, and while the installer says it's 14.7 RC, the installed "Catalyst Version" is still showing as 14.6 RC in Catalyst Control Center. And my AOC monitor still flickers.

I still get random BSOD's with a single card.

It shows the same in both GPUz and Afterburner for me as well.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

It might not be the driver but something else in your system. I have no BSOD on my system with my 290.

With different GPU's this rig is as stable as a rock, add an AMD GPU and it is no longer stable. Not rocket science.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

With different GPU's this rig is as stable as a rock, add an AMD GPU and it is no longer stable. Not rocket science.

Never heard of a faulty card from Nvidia needing to be replaced due to BSOD, right?

I've not had one but I get the felling you are going to say that you have?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

Take time and look how many problems are in the green side also, don`t generalize just because your system has a faulty GPU or your PSU is not powerfull enough to drive your AMD card without problems. There are issues in both sides but just don`t generalize.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Take the time to note how many Hawaii cards are DOA for no other reason than non-existent quality control. Compare that to the virtually non existent DOA ratio of the GK110 cards.

Hawaii lacks quality control, has nothing to do with PSU.

Anthony, put down the fanboy googles, my 8800GTX from EVGA died in 6 months.

I have been doing CF for the last 5 years and that whole witch hunt about bad drivers and stutering is getting old. In fact, I never knew it exist before reading about it 3 years ago.

If you are using a TV as a monitor, that whole stutering thing is non-existant due to the TV smoothing processing.

As for Watch Dogs, it is a poorly technically designed game. Ubisoft needs to dwell into Mantle since all consoles are strongly benefiting from it... EA understand it at least.

CF and SLI is available only if AMD and Nvidia can provide the support before the release of the game. After that, it becomes a patching job, but it is a small price to pay for playing in 4k.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Anthony, put down the fanboy googles, my 8800GTX from EVGA died in 6 months.

I have been doing CF for the last 5 years and that whole witch hunt about bad drivers and stutering is getting old. In fact, I never knew it exist before reading about it 3 years ago.

You must be the luckiest guy on earth ---or--- only play Gaming Evolved titles, or only playing games like 6-8 months after they're released--- because I've been doing CFX for a while now----from a 5970 (crossfire on one card) to (2) 7970s to now (2) 290s and the same lag in getting solid drivers for AAA titles remains. Whether thats due to Nvidia's meddling with developers or that AMD doesnt have anywheres near the size of a driver team as Nvidia, it gets rather frustrating after a while.

A HX620w is not enough for a 7790? Oh please! :lol:

Take a look at Origin PC, I'm not the only one who thinks their drivers are pants.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
like it or not, nvidia makes better cards and also has better drivers....i know this for a fact...i won a hd7970 crossfire and i am very disapointed with the drivers...driver always crashes, also there is an issues with the hdmi sound driver

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
like it or not, nvidia makes better cards and also has better drivers....i know this for a fact...i won a hd7970 crossfire and i am very disapointed with the drivers...driver always crashes, also there is an issues with the hdmi sound driver

See thats the thing---I think AMD actually makes the better hardware most of the time, but there's little doubt in my mind that Nvidia has far more people dedicated to driver development, and there's only so much AMD can do to play catch-up.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Then i must be an anomaly since i never had issues with Nvidia hardware or AMD hardware.

And about seeing guys complaining about sound over HDMI .. seen this type of complain a lot on Nvidia`s formus ... why would you even use that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.