AMD Processor PRices!!!!! *FAINT*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
The retail c chip are only a few bucks more that the oem ones. 6 bucks more for retail on a 1gig and only $25 more for a 1.2 gig
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

dhlucke

Polypheme
good info. Would you buy the retail though? I've only bought the OEM, but I'm considering the retail. Is the HSF that comes with it random and/or is it any good??

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
No I would buy oem too but there was this whole debate going on about by retail is better than oem. Everyone was saying that is 20% more expensive but that does not seem to be the case with the “C” chips. Just a fyi that’s all.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I read on zdnet sometime ago that AMD are making less money per unit than Intel. They're doing that to do increase sale figures and secure a larger market share. This is likely to drive up their share prices.

There is nothing right now to justify the cost of intel p4 processors. Perhaps, when the next generation of the p4 is out and lots more software to make use of the p4 'optimizations'. In my opinion, this version of the p4 should never have been released!

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha yeh, right, you have to compare the price of the Athlon 1.33 to the P4 1.3, $10 difference, so it's not the price, it's the performance. P4 sucks. But Intel is no longer overpriced.

Suicide is painless...........

dhlucke

Polypheme
With shipping roughly $280 for p4 1.3
$255 for the 1.33 T-bird. Still a 10% difference. But not bad. Hopefully they'll release their new P4 at these prices, but we both know they won't so we'll be left with the same dilemma.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
But Intel is no longer overpriced.

hjHHAHAHAHHA HA HAH AHAAH AHHA..... $766 for the new P4, right? $270 for the new 1.33GHz TBird, right? That's almost three times as much. Which one performs better? HAHAHAH AH AH AHHAHAH AHAHAH AHA.....

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

This P4 is a POS but remember AMD did a similar thing with the Slot A Athlons......(only they were fast)

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh and $54 for the new Cyrix 3. So what's your point? The price of the P4 and Athlon are close, clock for clock, the 1.3 v 1.33. I suppose if AMD released a 1.7GHz chip for $750, you would still compare the price of the 1.33? Of coarse the P4 still sucks, but it is competitively priced for people who still want it. If I were to build a new system RIGHT NOW it would probably be an Athlon system on the ALi chipset. I love the 760 but it is only available with a VIA southbridge on any motherboard I can think of. Really with all the changes taking place in architechture, I would rather wait to see what happens this fall. And I like my PIII system, so I will probably upgrade it. If no one realeses a new style PIII modified for the socket 370 I will probably opt for a 1GHz chip and overclock it.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I said "Which one performs betteR". The Cyrix3 performs like a Duron 600. Doesn't count.

"I suppose if AMD released a 1.7GHz chip for $750, you would still compare the price of the 1.33"

Nope. The 1.7 would overpower the 1.33. The point is, P4 1.7GHz doesn't overpower the 1.33.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I use an Ultra Creator 10 at the lab, it is far more powerfull than any PC supposedly, but I think it sucks. It all depends on what your doing. I agree with you that the P4 sucks, but by marketing standards, the price is right for the 1.3GHz speed.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Looks like it will with the lack lusty computer sells going on. Supposenly the material cost to manufacture chips is rather cheap plus the T-Bird is proving to be able to go higher than AMD ever expected in the current core. So AMD is getting a break in producing faster chips without having to retool their plants with newer technology saving them and us money in the short run. Just think a 1.33mh T-Bird for less than $200!!! It is close. The big question is why even produce Durons when slower T-Birds will be less than $100?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you would have to ask the same thing about the celeron,and p3

it becuase you a cpu to aim at the hi end market and a cpu to aim at the lower end market

G

cant we all just get along? NO it will never happen. Can't the democrats and republicans get along too? Intel had its grip for a long time. AMD maybe moving in, but who knows whats going to happen later. All I care is that the prices ARE going down on any chip I might get soon. I would rather have an AMD chip and a sweet video card than an intel system which is supposed to be the same. What matters is that the prices are going down for smart people that get behind the marketing propoganda from companies like Compaq, Dell, Gateway and HP.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the palmino is suppose to come in before that. and form what i heard they have a 1.5 ghz with just a heatsink on it
and it also use as much power as the p3 does

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If we are comparing performance, 1.3GHZ P4 is equal to about 1GHz or less Thunderbird. That's $280 (p4) to $150. almost 2x as much.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
100w of heat??? Lets use ohm's law and figure out the current necessary for 100 watts. <b>Power = Current x Voltage</b>, therefore <b>Current = Power/voltage = 100w/1.75v = 57amps</b>. 57amps!!! :eek: Now not all the electrical power used by the cpu is converted into heat so I doubt very much that a 1.6ghz T-Bird would produce 100w of heat. Especially if it is only using 60-70 watts total. My 400w power supply can only supply 30amps at +5 volts. Not sure of the real heat output and I could be wrong, anyone can enlighten us?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/31/01 08:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
actually a TBird 1.6GHz <i>does</i> produce 100watt of heat. read tom's article and also download Radiator, a program that tells you how much wattage your cpu produces. (a 1GHz Duron produces 54w)

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<b>Wow!!!!</b> Vapor Chill or water cooling needed. Well I don't mind having a volcano in my box as long as it works. That didn't sound right, oh well :smile: .