AMD processors and faster than 1866 memory?

SGM26

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
So I'm planning on buying a new computer soon featuring an FX-9590 (I don't want a discussion about whether I should or should not buy this processor, thanks) and an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard.

Reading the specs for the motherboard on the ASUS website they list it as being able to run DDR3 memory up to 2,400Mhz. Now I know that the AMD memory controller only supports up to 1866Mhz so why would they advertise it as being able to use faster memory than the controller can handle? Is it even possible? If yes, is it even worth attempting?

(I don't really know much about memory OCing so you'll have to explain the basics to me)

Thanks!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The mobo has the capability in the board itself physically, but you are right the 9590 is a beefed up 8350 and held to the same MC limits, however it is pre OCed heavily so it is possible it could pull 240-0 sticks, though I would guess 2x4GB would be about the max and no guarantee on that - the FX series are rated to 1866 at 1 Stick per channel (2 sticks) and that was done w/ 4GB sticks. If you go 2400 sticks, I'd look to a set with a CL of 11 or 12

SGM26

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
What about 16GB in 4 sticks or is that too much? I don't plan on going to 2400 but 2133 seems reasonable (I think).

How would I set that up or would the motherboard do it? I don't really know much at all but I'd like to learn or at least try.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If going 16, go 2x8GB, 4 sticks just adds stress to the MC - where we both mentioned the FX are 'rated' to 1866 - with 4 sticks it drops to 1600

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx

With 2133 sticks, would try CL10 maybe 9. Whatever route you go, ig you do run into troubles, give me a shout, here in the thread or PM me, DRAM is sort of a specialty of mine ;)

Solution

SGM26

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Right, so assuming I buy those, do I simply plug them into the motherboard, power on the system and they'll run at 2133 right off the get go or are there some settings I'll need to fiddle with?

Thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
You'll have to set them up, mobo should have DOCP, EOCP, or XMP (three DRAM OC profile approaches that AMD mobos use, enable whichever the board has and select 2133 and give it a try, if no joy, back to BIOS and raise the CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 and try else give me a holler and we'll go a step at a time

SGM26

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Will do. I haven't ordered any of the parts yet (probably won't be until the end of the week, perhaps later) so I won't be able to experiment until they arrive but I'll give you a message to let you know how I get on.

Again, thank you very much for your help. :)