AMD "Project Discovery" Tablet Photos Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
This is more like what the Surface RT should have been. Full Windows with an AMD chip like this for around $450. Would be very responsive and still be able to play a lot of games.

The very point of windows RT is so the windows able to run on ARM chip natively.

Robochamp

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Yes, your posts are always colossal flops!

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I understand that. My post was referring to the Surface RT as a model and not as an operating system.

In other words, instead of running an ARM chip and RT, it should have been using an AMD APU and running full Windows 8.

The idea is good but MS have their own reason and purpose for Win RT. instead of giving the tablet user a full windows experience like they have on dekstop or laptop they want something similar to what apple been doing with their ios on ipad/iphone. With full windows user still have the same freedom like they have on pc in regard to application. With Win RT they will only allow the user to use windows store to get their software and MS intend to make profit from this.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

You are exactly right my friend. Problem is, that plan didn't work out for them with the first gen RT to the tune of about $900 million. Nothing has changed with the second gen to remedy that problem.

It's obvious they want a closed ecosystem with the app store revenue that goes along with it.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I like the AMD design. I would buy one if the price were right.

AMD needs to be a force in the tablet space. I've been using some W8 tablets and have been quite pleased, but the enhanced graphics that AMD brings to the table would be a real welcome.

As for the side conversation about Windows RT, I think that is a closed debate. The market has already voted the product down. Independent manufacturers have completely cut the product. Companies like Asus and Acer are selling 100 or more W8 x86 tablets for every RT MS sells.

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Since AMD now has a power-efficient x86 design (yes, yes, I know, I'm as skeptical as anyone), it would be nice if they could do what Shield didn't and give us a proper portable x86 gaming device. But then they'd have to get the power consumption in their GPUs under control...

hannibal

Distinguished
Reasonable priced real win8.1 tablet with good GPU... what there is not to like? Very interesting to see how this does manage when it will be released, but very promising. More competition in windows tablet segment -> better prices!

hannibal

Distinguished

Well I have actually used old Windows RT (aka surface) tablet in the work and it is very nice tablet in deed! Pre installed sofware is good. the UI was snappy, so why not like Windows tablet? The win 8 and win8.1a re very good operation systems for tablet usage! They may not be great for desktop, but for phones and tablets, they are just fine!
The problem has been that RT version have had less aplications that iOS and Android tablets (but it is much better at this moment than before. We just have to get some good video editing aps, and we have everything that is needed!) The problem with Pro versions have been very high price. The AMD can have a solution for that. You can use real win8.1 and use all normal win 8.1 programs + all those tablet Metro aps allso, and make it cheap enough to be competative with Android devices!

TheDrWes

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I think they are going to leverage the Mantle API with the new apu. This would be a big hit against other tablets, and maybe show a new direction for AMD when it comes to the tablet space. The truth is, AMD is setting up a foundation for their company to build a new line that will give them the edge. This is just like when AMD64 processors came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.