AMD Quad or Intel C2D

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm building a new machine, mainly for photoshop and video editing.

So far, these are my options:

For the AMD build:
Mobo ASUS M3A78 or M3N78 for about 85$ to 108$
CPU AMD QuadCore Q9550 for about 150$

For the Intel Build
Mobo Asus P5QL Pro or Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L for about 95$
CPU Intel C2D E7300 for 138$

The other component will be more or like the same with the exception being a GPU for the Intel build (but so far my very old Geforce4 MX440 hasn't let me down - I'm still very old scholl when it comes to gaming...). I will not need Crossfire or SLI and I don't intend to OC the processor (maybe...)

So far I'm more fan of the AMD build but I have some doubts:

1 - In terms of raw processor power I believe that the AMD build is better. But does the same applies after OC (using only the cooler that comes with the processor). I know that the E7300 is a good OCer but does it pays of in the end in programs such as Photoshop and Premiere?

2 - I've read in several reviews that some of the AMD Mobos had estability problems. Does it still maintains?

3 - In case I go AMD, does it justifies spending a little more on a 790GX Mobo? And why?

4 - Do I have to buy a more powerful PSU in the AMD build? I plan to buy a 450W one.

5 - In case I go Intel, should I purchase a P45 Mobo or stick with a P43 one? Or instead spend a little more and buy a E7400 or E7500.

Thanks all for the help. I really need it.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Do you realize that you have listed Intel processors for both....?

And unless you are willing to buy the top end (for processors) you will not notice much of a difference between AMD and Intel anyhow.

Right now PhenomII (AMD's quad core) and any Core2 (intel's line) will perform about the same. Unless you are doing something very specific that can take advantage of more than 2 cores. I do not know about Photoshop and whether or not it runs a bunch better on a dual or quad core. (use google to find out)

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
To ir_efrem

Oops, your right. I was thinking of AMD Phenom X4 9650 but I wrote the 9550... My fault.

So the correct specs are:
For the AMD build:
Mobo ASUS M3A78 or M3N78 for about 85$ to 108$
CPU AMD Phenom X4 9650 for about 150$

For the Intel Build
Mobo Asus P5QL Pro or Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L for about 95$
CPU Intel C2D E7300 for 138$

As for differences between dual cores and Quads, apparently ''some'' video editors do use all the cores but as for Photoshop, so far I was unable to find that out for sure. I believe that CS4 has that ability.

Still undecided about the way to go.

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm from Portugal and Newegg doesn't ship abroad.

And also, a combo would cost me more 70$ than my current options. And I was trying to stay within 230$ - 260$ for Mobo+CPU

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Does the X3 is better than the X4? I know that its technology is newer but I haven't checked the charts to compare performance of these two.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Here are some benchmarks straight from Toms...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-am3-phenom,2148.html - Don't use synthetic benchmark results to make a choice on which to buy.

You will see the PhenomII 720 X3 outperforming the older Phenom in pretty much everything. The PhenomII is just a better CPU.

You will also notice a Higher clocked Core2 DUO performing admirably as well.

Core2 QUADs at the same frequency as a PhenomII will generally be a tiny bit ahead in performance.

Really it is your call on what you want to buy. If I were in the market for a CPU right now I would have a tough time making a choice. I would probably go with a PhenomII X3 720 and overclock it as much as I could without changing the voltage.