AMD R7 265 Black Screen issue in WIndows 10

Apr 27, 2018
I have been reading through multiple forums finding old forums back in 2015, 2016 and a few in 2017, but I am looking for an update of this AMD Black Screen dilemma and if there is any fix that has been found? To give a quick run down, I am running windows 10 the most current update as of April 27th of 2018, which is as of this writing, running on an i3-4340, 8GB DDR3, and a 600W PSU. I can run my PC on integrated graphics, but when I insert my ASUS R7 265 it boots to windows desktop I try to install the drivers and within minutes the screen goes black. I try to reboot via reset button, but boots to a black screen after the windows loading wheel. I can detach the graphics cards and use the integrated graphics and it will load to windows just fine. I have tried installing drivers, via safe mode, which doesn't solve the issue either, even though it doesn't black screen on me in Safe mode.

Apr 27, 2018

Yes the 265 is inserted in the PCI-E x16 slot, I am hooked through the DVI port on the 265, I can install the drivers, still have desktop screen after driver install. Restart pc, Windows load wheel begins after restart then goes black screen, I'll wait 5-10mins....nothing. I can hit the power button, Not hold, and after a minute it will shutdown, so I know Windows is running but won't show as I have my power button setup to shutdown if it's pushed once. Also Windows 10 is a clean install, and not an upgrade from win8.1. I waited to insert the GPU after I knew the windows was up to date. Hoping maybe Windows had a patch for this issue. Also a bit background, this setup was originally working about a year ago on win10 and now it doesn't work. I'm almost half tempted to push back to win8 and see if it works on there.

May 2, 2018
Im having the same issue with a AMD Radeon HD 7870 card (actually my brothers, so experience is secondhand, but had the chance to fiddle with it). It was working fine until today. Screen froze black and when he rebooted it kept going black after the Motherboard. I tried a few things, and even a fresh install of Win10 didn't fix it.

I searched around and found that there might be an issue with a new Windows update and i figured i would try to reinstall windows without a network connection to avoid it immediately updating to newest version. And boom i could boot again. I then tinkered with it and found that as soon as you try to update Windows it black screens again, and moreover when i update the graphics driver manually it also black screens.

Here is where the trail went cold for me, it seems such an odd issue and in all the resources i've found with google-fu noone can give a determinate answer. If the card died we need to get a new one, but we are not in the best financial situation so i want to exhaust the list of possibilites.

So it can run on the basic windows adapter driver, but it will crash before the install is complete on the new driver.

May 6, 2018
I have exact the same issue. I have formatted my PC multiple times to find out the source of black screen issue, it's 100% guaranteed that something is wrong with either MS or AMD side.

The screen goes black and windows never shows up again if you have your connection so that windows updates the display driver or you install the driver from AMD website.

Sad part is I can't turn off the auto updates for Windows 10

I tried other OS, such as Windows 7 and Ubuntu, The card runs fine. However in Windows 10 it fails.

Now the computer only runs if I pull the ethernet cable and never install the driver.

Try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-turn-off-device-driver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html#option2 that should stop driver updates.