Question AMD R7 5800x Freeze\black screen mid restart

Preacherauron

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015
Ok, So, I have done a complete refresh of the windows 10 install, I have installed all drivers, BIOS is the most recent. PSU is fine, all the parts SHOULD be fine as they have worked in another PC ( I tested to make sure). The only thing that could be causing it is the new gigabyte aorus elite x570 mobo or the AMD r7 5800x. Or something connected to them.

When the PC restarts it will shut down like normal. When it gets to the point where it would normally click over to booting back up, it just gets stuck on a black screen. The Keyboard won't light up and work but the mouse will if I push the buttons. The only way to get the PC to start back up is if I hold the power button until it turns off, and then I have to turn it back on... not sure how this affects updates and the like. However, since this problem occurred since the beginning, there is not much I can do if the updates and driver installations need to restart. What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

Preacherauron

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015
unless the "another pc" have the exact same spec. tell us the
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Other than the MOBO and CPU yes the other PC does have the exact same specs.

But Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 wifi
32 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3200Mhz
RTX 2080 ti
Thermaltake 1200 watt Gold PSU
Samsung 970 pro Evo 2TB NVME m.2
I think that is basically it.

Last edited:
Just making sure with these questions.

• What version of Windows 10 was installed?
  • You did all Windows Updates?
  • You installed the Chipset Drivers from AMD or the Motherboard website depending on which one is more recent?
  • When you say "Refresh of Windows" do you mean a total wipe of the OS partition and clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 or you used the OS drive of your old system and used the reset function in Windows 10?

Preacherauron

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015
Just making sure with these questions.

• What version of Windows 10 was installed?
  • You did all Windows Updates?
  • You installed the Chipset Drivers from AMD or the Motherboard website depending on which one is more recent?
  • When you say "Refresh of Windows" do you mean a total wipe of the OS partition and clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 or you used the OS drive of your old system and used the reset function in Windows 10?

Whatever the latest version of windows is and it has been fully updated.
Yes all drivers have been installed by both AMD and Gigabyte.
I mean I got so desparate to make it stop I totally wiped the hard drive cleared the partition entirely and made the drive shiny and new and then installed windows from scratch. No settings, no programs, no nothing.

Whatever the latest version of windows is and it has been fully updated.
Yes all drivers have been installed by both AMD and Gigabyte.
I mean I got so desparate to make it stop I totally wiped the hard drive cleared the partition entirely and made the drive shiny and new and then installed windows from scratch. No settings, no programs, no nothing.

Did you clear your CMOS after your BIOS update?

Remove all your RAM sticks but 1 in the A2 slot. Turn off your XMP/DOCP RAM profile.

Is your RAM 2x16GB or 4x8GB?

Is your BIOS version (F31j - 2‎020/11/20) from 4 days ago?

You could test installing the OS on a SATA SSD to see if the same issue happen. If it doesn't it could be the M.2 NVMe SSD.

Last edited:

Preacherauron

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015

Remove all your RAM sticks but 1 in the A2 slot. Turn off your XMP/DOCP RAM profile.

You could test installing the OS on a SATA SSD to see if the same issue happen. If it doesn't it could be the M.2 NVMe SSD.

My bios is 31h but that is the most recent one I found on the website.

Two things I meant the WIFI version of the mobo. And I have updated to the J version of the BIOS. For some reason the PC also becomes less stable (can crash with a blue screen) after the drivers are installed for the mobo.
My RAM is 4x8.

Preacherauron

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015
Ok, So, I have done a complete refresh of the windows 10 install, I have installed all drivers, BIOS is the most recent. PSU is fine, all the parts SHOULD be fine as they have worked in another PC ( I tested to make sure). The only thing that could be causing it is the new gigabyte aorus elite x570 mobo or the AMD r7 5800x. Or something connected to them.

When the PC restarts it will shut down like normal. When it gets to the point where it would normally click over to booting back up, it just gets stuck on a black screen. The Keyboard won't light up and work but the mouse will if I push the buttons. The only way to get the PC to start back up is if I hold the power button until it turns off, and then I have to turn it back on... not sure how this affects updates and the like. However, since this problem occurred since the beginning, there is not much I can do if the updates and driver installations need to restart. What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

From scrounging around on AMD support forums and Gigabyte forums... this is a manufacturer BIOS issue. Possibly an issue with the way the MOBO works. Basically, people with these motherboards just have to wait until a fix is produced. OR get a different motherboard.