AMD R9 200 suddenly underpowered in games

RenHunt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
I've been running three screens with this AMD R9 200 series card since I built the system last March. I play games at highest resolution with no problems. My main screen is a Sceptre 32 inch HD 3D monitor. The other two are Asus 24 inch monitors.

Yesterday I attempted to look at some digital photos with my Powerlink DVD 11 program set in 3D mode. When I set it in that mode and brought up a picture, the video card did its usual shift to a classic color mode where the screens momentarily go blank; when they came back on, the screen order was now inexplicably rearranged. Once I got them back in order, I was able to look at pictures in 3D just fine and I thought nothing of it.

Later I loaded a game (Skyrim) and tried to play it. I'd been playing it earlier in the day just fine. However, now, the game loaded very slowly. In the game the mouse was erratic and imprecise, acting like the video card was overtasked, the video flow itself was not smooth, and made me feel motion sickness, all signs the graphics setting was too high.

I have a Steel Series Rival gaming mouse. I reset the mouse, loaded the latest drivers and firmware. Uninstalled and reinstalled all the video drivers and AMD Catalyst Control Center for the R9. Checked all the settings to make sure they were where I had them before. Everything seems to be normal.

Finally I disconnected the Asus monitors and the game played normally. Thus, after ten months of flawless performance, the only way I can now play a high graphics game like Skyrim in either Ultra or High setting is by disconnecting the two Asus monitors. And that all happened since that incident with the Powerlink DVD 11 program yesterday.

Does anyone have any idea where I can look to find the source of this new video problem?

My system: AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.00 GHz
AMD R9 200 series video card (HD 7950 3GB GDDR5)
RAM 8 GB GSkill DDR3 2133
ASRock 990FX Motherboard
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit