AMD R9 270 goes to 300 MHz clocks after a while of playing heavier games, help?

Maatuuu

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Sooooo, might be the 4th forum i'm asking this from, but into the thing: My AMD Radeon R9 270 goes to so called "2D clocks" after playing a little heavier games, like Battlefield 4 or Mad Max. Just drops frames ALOT.
Only solution to this is to restart the system, after that the same happens if I play the heavier games. I was on 16.1 drivers, tried 15.7 and all between these. It is all random when it happens, sometimes i can play 2 hours or sometimes only 10 minutes. Temperatures are normal (gpu 60-75 and other components around 50-60) I need to have this fixed ... :(

Solution
This is due to the chip overheating over time forcing the computer to downclock the chip in order to avoid destroying the silicon.

Try setting the fan speed to a static %100, and see if ti helps.

hunter86_bg

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Could you try to change the fan speed. Here is how I managed to do it.
First, install MSI afterburner - it comes with riva tuner. Then go to settings (don't touch the GPU's voltage and other things) -> Monitoring tab -> find the "GPU1 Temperature" and select it. Then scroll the big windows and find "Show in On-Screen Display" and mark it. Find "GPU1 Usage" in the small windows and scroll the big one and find "Show in On-Screen Display" and mark it.
Second go to Fan tab and modify it. I did change mine to 0-20Degrees -> 20% fan speed, 30 Degrees ->30% , 40 Degrees -> 45%,50 Degrees -> 60% , and so on. Once you press Ok, just minimize the "MSI Afterburner".
Once you start a game , you will see in the top right corner GPU's temperature and how much it is loaded.If you want to modify the message location or color - go to the rivatuner settings.

Once you complete this , test again and post your results.

Maatuuu

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Ummm.... Now when i did this my GPU temperature goes to 100 celsius when palying battlefield 4 and the heavy games and the lighter games go up to 85 what is not normal, this happens even when i disable the settings from msi afterburner... what happened?
Restarted the pc, temperature still goes 100 celsius... after i close the game the fans are going from 50% of power to 20% and bouncing up and down.......... i think this just did some damage to my pc

kwa-e

Admirable
This is due to the chip overheating over time forcing the computer to downclock the chip in order to avoid destroying the silicon.

Try setting the fan speed to a static %100, and see if ti helps.

Solution

hunter86_bg

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
It is not natural for any GPU to run at 100% fan speed. Like kwa-e said , set the fanspeed to 100% all the time and test for a short time. If it's the same there is something wrong. it could be some kind of "bitcoin mining virus" , or hardware fault.