Question AMD R9 270X Crashes Windows 10

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi,

I've been having this problem lately, my graphics card driver won't install on any windows.
Everytime i try to install the driver, everything works fine until it gets to the display driver, it takes like 10-20 seconds until the windows freezes completely. I tried a clean uninstall with DDU, fixed any registry errors, full windows reinstall, installing in safe mode. Everytime it gives me the same result. The windows detects the gpu connected in device manager but i can't install the display driver. I tried to disable the driver enforcement but still the same result.

GPU: AMD R9 270X OC 2GB 256b
CPU: I5 2500K 3.3GB
MB: MSI Viglen VIG642M
PSU: 600W ATX

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Is this a recently bought R9-270X? Used?
What gfx card had you been using prior to this?
I've never heard of that particular MSI motherboard model. Is it part of a pre-built PC?
I bought it about a year ago, not used. It was new. I used a GTX 670 2gb. And yes, it's pre-built.

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
I can find nothing in the motherboard manual that would indicate that the board is the issue. It supports the PCIe x16 slot up to Gen 3.0 (which alone surprises me). Can you link me to the exact R9-270X that you have?
It's not the motherboard, it worked just fine until december, i was playing diablo and i had a problem the whole day, stuttering. I replaced the thermal paste and all. And after 2-3 hours i had to update it, i updated it and then it just froze. I tried a clean uninstall with an older driver version but still the same result it just froze my pc up. This is the link to the GPU

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
It could be. But it might also be the PSU.
  1. What is the make/model of the one they put in that pre-built?
  2. Can you link me to the PC?
  3. Did the 270X come with the PC originally?
1. I made the PC by myself i had help with some advices and that's all.
I researched the psu and gpu to see if they are compatible with one another, the gpu needs 500W and i have on my psu 600W.
  1. I can't link the PC because i can't find the MB anywhere apparently.
  2. No, i decided to buy it and replace the older card altho they were pretty much simmilar.

Ehwaz

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Is this the PSU? MS-N600-VAL CM
If so, it has a rather poor +12V rail for being a 600W. Might be failing from running the equally demanding GTX 670 you said you had in it before. But like the Mod says, if you can find another PC to test the card in, you should... to see if the same issue occurs.
Yea. That's the PSU. I tried it on another pc and the same issue occured. I think it's a bust.