Question AMD R9 280 Crashing system while gaming on stock settings

jebiersPCInc

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
GPU: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R9280DC2T3GD5/

I was playing fine this morning then suddenly I got this computer crash while playing CS:GO

View: https://imgur.com/a/k7OBbvQ

Hold power button, reconnect, same issue over and over- even in other games.

I read online that it's a graphics card error. Reinstalled Correct drivers, same issue.

However I managed to prevent the problem by turning up my fan % to 60% manually. Now alledgedly my pc is louder but I don't get System Crashes where I need to hard reset.

My bet is either the thermal paste has gone bad for Stock factory overclock OR the chip is dying...

jebiersPCInc

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
What are your FULL PC specs ?
cpu ryzen 5 2600x stock
cpu cooler wraith spire
gpu r9 280 stock (factory oc)
ram 2x8 hyperX 2666mhz
hdd seagate 1tb (ST1000DM003-1ER162)
case coolermaster cm storm enforcer
dvd reader ATAPI ihas124 E
mouse razer naga hex
keyboard steelseries m400
headset steelseries siberia v2
monitors 1x benq G2420HD & 1x hp 24uh

corsair rm750 gold watts bought in 2015 january
now i got sceptical about that power supply. people say it has low quality capacitors

Who told you that ? That's a very good high-quality PSU. No second thoughts on this. First of all, I don't fully understand what exactly your current problem is. I mean, that monitor screen just shows a white screen with lines on it.

Is the PC hanged ? Does this happen while Gaming ? How old is your video card ?

jebiersPCInc

Reputable
Jun 25, 2019
Who told you that ? That's a very good high-quality PSU. No second thoughts on this. First of all, I don't fully understand what exactly your current problem is. I mean, that monitor screen just shows a white screen with lines on it.

Is the PC hanged ? Does this happen while Gaming ? How old is your video card ?
My video card was bought in January of 2015 same as my PSU. btw thanks for the relief about the psu.
My problem is that when I game, I get a grey screen with vertical bars (almost like in jail huh) the sound from the game continues to play for a few seconds then the sound loops as well.
CTRL ALT DELETE and ALT F4 (does nothing- one time it did but the system still didn't respond.)
However when I up my Graphics card's fan speeds to at least 60%, the freezes disappear while gaming.
This is why I think either my GPU is losing life or my thermal paste has gone dry.

I have never overclocked the GPU as it always does artifacting when moving the slider just 5mhz even if underclocking. I don't get why that happens either, but that has always been the case (in amd radeon settings - overdrive tab)

Sep 2, 2021
Hi, I'm having the same issue have you find any solutions? Today while another crash was going on the AMD software detected a Driver Crash so I tought I had to update that one. I did it and now I'm waiting to see if it crashes again or not.