AMD R9 290/390 Silence to Loudness

G

I have a Gigabyte R9 290 and a Sapphire R9 390 in two separate computers. They have plenty of air flow, and I keep the house fairly cool. Unfortunately, when gaming they both get really loud (dust-buster loud). Is there any way to remedy this? They are both switched to their "silent" operating option. If there's no way to fix this (not attempting water-cooling) is there an alternative card that is much quieter?

Solution
AMD GPU require more power and run much hotter than NVIDIA, if you want to replace your cards, i'd suggest a GTX 970.

- Less power
- Lower temperatures
- Same performance as R9 390 at 1080p

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
AMD GPU require more power and run much hotter than NVIDIA, if you want to replace your cards, i'd suggest a GTX 970.

- Less power
- Lower temperatures
- Same performance as R9 390 at 1080p

Solution

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
The only way to quiet them down is to replace the coolers on the cards. I'd recommend a Arctic Accelero Extreme IV, but the caveat is that they cost about $100. It's really up to you if you think it's worth it or better to sell your current cards and buy something quieter.

Apart from improving the airflow in your case which may require extra fans there is little you can do unless you are willing to under clock them.

By improving the airflow in your case you can stop hot air building up. The cooler the air in the case the easier it is to keep the GPU cool

G

Okay, so which would be better: Buy two Nvidia 970s and sell my cards ($315+$315-$100-$150=$380) or buy two Arctic Accelero Extreme IVs ($75+$75=$150) . . . Man, I can't believe the TDP between the two is so drastic: 145 for the Nvidia card and 275 for the AMD one . . .