amd r9 290 compatibly with psu

xdxproxdx

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
I have a 550 watt antec basiq power supply, heres the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
Now I know that theres enough wattage in the psu it self to power my system, but im worried about the amps and the rails part of it. My psu has three 12v rails r1 22 amps, r2 22 amps, r3 25 amps.
And I think the r9 290 requires like 40 something amps or something on a single rail. And my psu has 1 8 pin coming out the bunch of non modular wires and a 6 pin modular. If this helps it looks exactly like this http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/images/Antec-550W-Power-Supply-Basiq-BP550-PLUS-600x500.jpg . So From what I understand the 6 pin has its own 12v rail (the red one) Which i have hooked up to my old 5850. Then the black modular ports have their own 12v rail and the bunch of non modular wires have their own 12v rail (which includes the 8 pin also conected to my 5850). 3 total. So what I want to know is will the psu combine the 12v rails amp power ability automatically into a single rail sufficing the 290s amp requirement, or the fact that the 6 pin and 8 pins combined have over 40 amps also suffice? So what it boils down to is will my psu work with the r9 290. Also a separate question, will oc'ing my intel i7 860 to around 3.6-3.8 ghz be too much for my psu?. If its not too much to oc my i7 860 then will oc'ing my sapphire r9 290 on top of my intel i7 860 be too much as well for my psu? My system specs:
antec basiq 550 watt psu
2x 256 ssd's
1x 600 gb velicorapter
4x 4gb ddr3 ram
intel i7 860 @ 2.8 ghz
and my r9 290 coming in the mail
ASUS wifi pci express card

Sorry for the crappy grammar, maths more my thing. And thanks to anybody who answers.
I do plan on getting a better psu, I just want to wait for black Friday!

Solution
In theory, that psu should be fine. The 290 reference requires one 6pin and one 8pin and has a tdp of about 275w. That antec is pretty sturdy and has the right connectors and the split rail will provide enough amps on the each connector to work. You should also be able to do your o/c (chip permitting) without issue. You might be cutting it a little close, but it should be fine.

Mark
In theory, that psu should be fine. The 290 reference requires one 6pin and one 8pin and has a tdp of about 275w. That antec is pretty sturdy and has the right connectors and the split rail will provide enough amps on the each connector to work. You should also be able to do your o/c (chip permitting) without issue. You might be cutting it a little close, but it should be fine.

Mark

Solution
Don't get too comfortable. Your psu is capable of a max 444w on the 12v rails. At full load, the gpu will need +/-275w, leaving you with +/-169w for other 12v needs. When you o/c the cpu, you will drive up the TDP to maybe 110-115w, leaving you with maybe 50-55w (4-4.5a) for the balance of your 12v needs. All of a sudden you have headroom of 12% and too me that's close. My personal rule of thumb is 20% or 100w, whichever is greater, as the MINIMUM headroom I will accept.

I still think you'll be ok since the only time you are likely to max everything out is during stress testing or benchmarking, but be aware you may be cutting it close -- your comfort level and mileage may vary.

Mark

xdxproxdx

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Yea I only really plan to run everything at stock with this psu, maybe a little cpu oc if it bottle necks. But because of the head room you mentioned it sounds too close for comfort and also the psu is over three years old so it may have a lower headroom then what you mentioned. But once black Friday comes around and I can get a good 650-750 bronze or better psu I'll do some serious oc'ing.

Andres