amd r9 290 problem

Joelm144

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Hey everyone i have been running one gigabyte windforce r9 290 for a while now, i decided to get another identical graphics card. After installing it i noticed it dosent run and the fans dont move. Upon rebooting my computer the fans turn on and the gpu works. But after i get to my desktop it shuts off. The same goes for starting up games. I downloaded msi afterburner and gpu-z and they both see the graphics card but the fan % is at 0 so is the clock speed. Intermittently the clock speed goes up but quickly returns to 0. There is a green led on my new graphics card that is not on the other one.

This is my rig:

intel 4690k
2 gigabyte r9 290's
evga supernova 1300 watt psu
samsung evo 840 256g
gigabyte z97 gaming 3 mobo
gskill ripjaws x 16 gb 2133 ram

thanks

Try to put the second card that is not working properly alone in a the primary PCIe slot , see if it's working .

If it works in a single card config then it's probably something driver or hardware related ( not GPU specific ) , if not then the card itself is faulty or has some sort of an issue.

Joelm144

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Ok i will try that TopLuca, and il let you know. Also i just noticed is that in gpu-z the amount of shaders and the texture fillrate are different but as im playing league of legends now the gpu is working fine and the shaders are the same, also the green light is off. But as soon as i stop playing league of legends the amount of shaders it says it has changes.

????

Joelm144

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Ok i moved the cards around and the one that was having problems worked alone while i played dying light. When i added the second one they were both working and the fans were running. When i went into the catalyst control center and clicked the amd crossfire button the gpu in the pcix8 stopped working and a green led on the card started showing.