Question AMD R9 380 Overheating at 1080p with RED FLASHING on screen.

Oct 15, 2019
System:
Radeon Software Version - 19.7.5
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 XFX Double Dissipation 4GB
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 990 MHz
MOBO: H61M-P31/W8 (MS-7788)
Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz

So I've been getting these rapid BURSTS OF RED all over the screen when my GPU overheats above 80 Celsius. it doesn't do it when I cap the FPS to 30. Most high-end games will just overheat the GPU straight up. Sometimes it just sky rockets within minutes of being in a benchmark like Heaven. But the Red flashing is weird.

My question is: Is my GPU dying or is there just some kind of bottleneck with my old CPU?
My current cable management is terrible and my cables are all over the inside.
However, I am upgrading my system and case (for better management of cabling) but keeping my card.

New projected system:

Radeon Software Version - 19.7.5
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 XFX Double Dissipation 4GB
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 990 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (Home) (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB Hyperx fury DDR4 2666
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk.
CPU Type -AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 3.2 Ghz

Will my GPU still be an issue in terms of overheating and system failure for gaming at 1080p?

Would really appreciate the response.

"Is my GPU dying or is there just some kind of bottleneck with my old CPU? "

"Bottlenecking" or being held up by the CPU shouldn't cause bursts of red on your screen.
Neither should your cable mess.

....and being it only happens at 80C+ and it doesn't happen with the fps capped.....leads me to think that it's probably thermally related.

but being it happens at 80C indicates to me there might be a problem with the GPU as I don't think it should happen at 80C,

80C is pretty common with GPUs.

Reactions: Katenbarnard
Oct 15, 2019

"Bottlenecking" or being held up by the CPU shouldn't cause bursts of red on your screen.

....and being it only happens at 80C+ and it doesn't happen with the fps capped.....leads me to think that it's probably therma

....and being it only happens at 80C+ and it doesn't happen with the fps capped.....leads me to think that it's probably thermally related.

but being it happens at 80C indicates to me there might be a problem with the GPU as I don't think it should happen at 80C,

Yeah, it is common and I figured it's fishy because it used to handle up to 90C. I just thought something might be giving out.

Do you think that it could be power related too?

Thanks for the feedback. :)