Question AMD Radeon 6600, Win7sp1

Dec 3, 2021
So,
I'm a dork but I've been out of the HW scene for a while, I didn't even know AMD made graphics cards. I recently bought a 6600 and set it up in a Win7 server, I did get it working but after an update or something it started giving me a weird error
"Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat"

I submitted a support request but i haven't seen a reply from AMD, i'm just about at the point of reinstalling windows (it was already a clean install) but if all else fails i'm just going to return it before the 30 day window ends. I'd be quite curious if anyone had a helpful suggestion on this topic.

Ref,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you doing at the point of the error?
While there's not 'full feature' support (like Raytracing) within W7, it should still function.

Likely more a driver issue. I'd uninstall the current driver (with DDU, preferably) and reinstall the prior. AMD were really slow to release a W7 driver (not the focus), and they're hardly known for 100% stable drivers 100% of the time...

When exactly do you get this error message, ""Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat" " ? Running any application or program ? Just make sure that you fully update and install the latest AMD GPU drivers for your card.

Make sure to do a clean install of the GPU drivers, and use the correct version, 32/64 bit as applicable. Though, AMD does not provide any 32 bit version. Does the PC recognize the GPU under the Device Manager settings ?

BTW, when installing Software Adrenalin for RX 6600/6600 XT for the Win 7 operating system, you must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the full installation. Just make a note of this, just in case the installer creates any problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS