[SOLVED] AMD Radeon 6600, Win7sp1

Dec 3, 2021
So,
I'm a dork but I've been out of the HW scene for a while, I didn't even know AMD made graphics cards. I recently bought a 6600 and set it up in a Win7 server, I did get it working but after an update or something it started giving me a weird error
"Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat"

I submitted a support request but i haven't seen a reply from AMD, i'm just about at the point of reinstalling windows (it was already a clean install) but if all else fails i'm just going to return it before the 30 day window ends. I'd be quite curious if anyone had a helpful suggestion on this topic.

Ref,

Solution
When exactly do you get this error message, ""Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat" " ? Running any application or program ? Just make sure that you fully update and install the latest AMD GPU drivers for your card.

Make sure to do a clean install of the GPU drivers, and use the correct version, 32/64 bit as applicable. Though, AMD does not provide any 32 bit version. Does the PC recognize the GPU under the Device Manager settings ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you doing at the point of the error?
While there's not 'full feature' support (like Raytracing) within W7, it should still function.

Likely more a driver issue. I'd uninstall the current driver (with DDU, preferably) and reinstall the prior. AMD were really slow to release a W7 driver (not the focus), and they're hardly known for 100% stable drivers 100% of the time...

When exactly do you get this error message, ""Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat" " ? Running any application or program ? Just make sure that you fully update and install the latest AMD GPU drivers for your card.

Make sure to do a clean install of the GPU drivers, and use the correct version, 32/64 bit as applicable. Though, AMD does not provide any 32 bit version. Does the PC recognize the GPU under the Device Manager settings ?

Solution
BTW, when installing Software Adrenalin for RX 6600/6600 XT for the Win 7 operating system, you must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the full installation. Just make a note of this, just in case the installer creates any problem.

TRENDING THREADS