AMD Radeon 7700 2gb driving me crazy in Lightroom and Photoshop on Win10

Pierre_9

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
I am going crazy right now. I'm a photographer and work with Lightroom and Photoshop every day. Since I have upgraded to Windows 10, my Lightroom has been crashing at specific points (mainly using filters in the develop module).

After much reading, these crashes are linked to the AMD card which doesn't seem to play friendly with Abode products. But fine, I can deal with a software restart, no biggy. My drivers are updated, they have been rolled back when it started crashing Lightroom, upgraded again to the most recent a month ago.

Today, I needed to use some functionality that Abode added to Photoshop (removing what I used to use) and my entire computer keeps crashing. I typically get popups with messages that the graphics card isn't responding and so on.

So... not being the very tech savvy person (well, I used to be when i was gaming and younger :) ) I'm searching for advice. I'm mainly thinking of just ditching the AMD card and getting an nVidia. I don't game, I just use the two softwares 90% of the time I am on my PC.

I am on a Dell XPS 8500 which I purchased 3-4 years ago.
Windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 3770 CPU @ 3.4gb
16gb of ram
Seagate 2TB drive and Samsung 256GB SSD

Can anyone offer any insight on what to upgrade to? Something of similar performance (or better) that I can just swap in and out with the current AMD card? I'd love to say budget isn't an issue, but keeping it to below $400 would be nice :)

-Pierre

Solution
If you can stretch the budget the gtx 980ti is around the $600 mark and is awesome....though realistically lr doesnt utilise the gpu at all so you could probly get away with a 960 or something around there wich im sure would be in yre price range....as for your current problem in lr you can change the program so that it doesnt use the graphics card it just uses the windows default...i cant remember the exact steps to do so but a quick google should tell you....that should stop the crashing

Rangalover

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
If you can stretch the budget the gtx 980ti is around the $600 mark and is awesome....though realistically lr doesnt utilise the gpu at all so you could probly get away with a 960 or something around there wich im sure would be in yre price range....as for your current problem in lr you can change the program so that it doesnt use the graphics card it just uses the windows default...i cant remember the exact steps to do so but a quick google should tell you....that should stop the crashing

Solution