Question AMD Radeon 7900 XT

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I am receiving the following error when I turn the computer on:

" Default performance tuning settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure "

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I have done a fresh install of Windows 11
2. Disable wi-fi so it wouldn't install microsoft version of the amd driver.
3. Install the drivers from AMD
4. Install msi afterburner to monitor temperatures cpu and gpu while gaming.
5. I have uninstalled msi afterburner
6. Upgraded from 750w power supply to 1000w power supply
7. I sent in my video card and got a replacement and still receiving the error
8. Power options disable fast boot
9. I installed the driver only and msi afterburner and it seems to work really well that way.

I don't know what else to do except buy a geforce 4080 ti and sell this card

Intel 11700f 2.5 processor
Gigabyte z590 aorus master
teamforce 32gb ddr4 memory
xfx speedster 20gb amd radeon 7900xt
10tb seagate barracuda hard drive
12tb seagate barracuda hard drive

Lutfij

Titan
1| Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode + installed all drivers in an elevated command?

3| Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD)? You should manually reinstall the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

See if this helps.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I installed windows 11 from the flash drive that i created with media creation tool. I already REINSTALLED windows 11 so I didn't need to run Display Driver uninstaller.
My version for my bios is latest version f9
Run as administrator does nothing

Lutfij

Titan
I already REINSTALLED windows 11 so I didn't need to run Display Driver uninstaller.
If you installed the OS while hooked to the internet, the OS would download and install drivers it thinks is right for your platform, which often times is not the right one, hence why we suggest you run DDU. if you installed the OS in offline mode, then you need not run DDU.

I am receiving the following error when I turn the computer on Default performance tuning settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure. Here is what I have done so far.

1. I have done a fresh install of Windows 11
2. Disable wi-fi so it wouldn't install microsoft version of the amd driver.
3. Install the drivers from AMD
4. Install msi afterburner to monitor temperatures cpu and gpu while gaming.
5. I have uninstalled msi afterburner
6. Upgraded from 750w power supply to 1000w power supply
7. I sent in my video card and got a replacement and still receiving the error
8. Power options disable fast boot
9. I installed the driver only and msi afterburner and it seems to work really well that way.

I don't know what else to do except buy a geforce 4080 ti and sell this card

Intel 11700f 2.5 processor
Gigabyte z590 aorus master
teamforce 32gb ddr4 memory
xfx speedster 20gb amd radeon 7900xt
10tb seagate barracuda hard drive
12tb seagate barracuda hard drive

If you have received a new card, and you did a clean reinstall of windows then that suggest your MB is possibly damanged. Try PCIe slot #2.

Also this error can happen when the CMOS battery dies, or a memory stick can't run at the rated speed. It's not necssarily the video cards fault. Reduce to 1 memory stick in slot B0 (3rd furthest slot away from your CPU) If problem repeats, swap memory stick. Run at default memory speed settings for the CPU in question.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
It's been 3 days since I have erceived the error and. I went into my bios and enabled xmp and put it on profile 1. I don't overclock anything cause I don't know how to overclock or want to. I think the memory hasn't been running at the proper speed til now. I haven't seen the error yet. I think I have fixed the problem

Reactions: Avro Arrow

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
well the error showed up again this morning, I don't know what else to do. the memory is running at the correct speed i took adrealin off i'm done with it. I'm good with afterburner Im going with 4080 ti and get rid of this card

Last edited:
well the error showed up again this morning, I don't know what else to do. the memory is running at the correct speed i took adrealin off i'm done with it. I'm good with afterburner Im going with 4080 ti and get rid of this card
That specific card might be the problem (no amount of software troubleshooting can overcome a hardware issue) so you might want to bring that card back for a replacement and see if that fixes the problem.

Two things puzzle me about your post though. There is no RTX 4080 Ti (did you mean RTX 4080 Super?) and the RTX 4080 Super isn't in the same class as the RX 7900 XT, it's in the same class as the RX 7900 XTX. The RTX 4070 Ti Super competes with the RX 7900 XT.

If you want performance like that of the RTX 4080 Super, then you should get an RX 7900 XTX. I would recommend returning that card and getting an XTX because it's a lot faster than the RX 7900 XT. It's even slightly faster than the RTX 4080 Super but is a lot less expensive. I actually have an ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming and I haven't come across a game that could bring this card to below 78FPS at 4K Ultra. My gaming library includes a good number of intensive titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwarts: Legacy, RoboCop: Rogue City and Starfield.

I've had my card since August and it's been nothing short of incredible. If you want to pay the extra $100 for the 4080 Super, that's your right but it wouldn't be worth it to me.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
That specific card might be the problem (no amount of software troubleshooting can overcome a hardware issue) so you might want to bring that card back for a replacement and see if that fixes the problem.

Two things puzzle me about your post though. There is no RTX 4080 Ti (did you mean RTX 4080 Super?) and the RTX 4080 Super isn't in the same class as the RX 7900 XT, it's in the same class as the RX 7900 XTX. The RTX 4070 Ti Super competes with the RX 7900 XT.

If you want performance like that of the RTX 4080 Super, then you should get an RX 7900 XTX. I would recommend returning that card and getting an XTX because it's a lot faster than the RX 7900 XT. It's even slightly faster than the RTX 4080 Super but is a lot less expensive. I actually have an ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming and I haven't come across a game that could bring this card to below 78FPS at 4K Ultra. My gaming library includes a good number of intensive titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Hogwarts: Legacy, RoboCop: Rogue City and Starfield.

I've had my card since August and it's been nothing short of incredible. If you want to pay the extra $100 for the 4080 Super, that's your right but it wouldn't be worth it to me.
I have already sent the card to be tested and they said nothing was wrong with it they sent me a replacement. I got a good deal on this card It's already been 30 days I bought the card in November. Lord knows when I get the geforce rtx 4080 super. I made a mistake and bought this card which I will never buy another AMD card ever again. I took off adrenalin software until they fix it

I have already sent the card to be tested and they said nothing was wrong with it they sent me a replacement. I got a good deal on this card It's already been 30 days I bought the card in November. Lord knows when I get the geforce rtx 4080 super. I made a mistake and bought this card which I will never buy another AMD card ever again. I took off adrenalin software until they fix it
Yesterday, I was having a massive issue with The Last of Us Part 1 crashing about every two minutes or so. It looked like there might have been something wrong with my RX 7900 XTX so I swapped it out for my RX 6800 XT but the problems still continued. I even tried different driver packages and changed settings up and down in both Adrenalin and in the game. Absolutely nothing worked.

Then I remembered something from a long time ago and I got the idea to disable my XMP profile and set it to "Auto" in my BIOS. This causes my 64GB of DDR4-3600 to run at only 2400MHz. It also immediately and completely stopped all crashing of the game. While searching for the problem I came across threads in Steam saying that GeForce cards were the crashers in that game and I couldn't find any reference to Radeons crashing. This was both frustrating and reassuring because while I couldn't find a fix, it seemed that my card and drivers weren't the problem. This turned out to be true.

In the end, it wasn't my card at all, it was a single game not liking my RAM's XMP Profile setting. I hadn't thought of it because no other game had any real problem with it. The one thing that I refused to do was let ignorance dictate my decision. I was going to discover the problem one way or another which I think is a far better way of thinking.

You say "I will never buy another AMD card again" and you say "I took off Adrenalin software until they fix it" but the fact of the matter is, there's nothing wrong with Adrenalin and the number of people who use it daily is in the millions. If there were a problem with Adrenalin software, reviewers would be saying so because they'd be encountering it ALL THE TIME. In fact, reviewers say the exact opposite, that Adrenalin is easier to use and is a more complete software suite than GeForce Experience.

As hard as it may be for your ego to accept, the problem here isn't Adrenalin, it's you.

Last edited:

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
Yesterday, I was having a massive issue with The Last of Us Part 1 crashing about every two minutes or so. It looked like there might have been something wrong with my RX 7900 XTX so I swapped it out for my RX 6800 XT but the problems still continued. I even tried different driver packages and changed settings up and down in both Adrenalin and in the game. Absolutely nothing worked.

Then I remembered something from a long time ago and I got the idea to disable my XMP profile and set it to "Auto" in my BIOS. This causes my 64GB of DDR4-3600 to run at only 2400MHz. It also immediately and completely stopped all crashing of the game. While searching for the problem I came across threads in Steam saying that GeForce cards were the crashers in that game and I couldn't find any reference to Radeons crashing. This was both frustrating and reassuring because while I couldn't find a fix, it seemed that my card and drivers weren't the problem. This turned out to be true.

In the end, it wasn't my card at all, it was a single game not liking my RAM's XMP Profile setting. I hadn't thought of it because no other game had any real problem with it. The one thing that I refused to do was let ignorance dictate my decision. I was going to discover the problem one way or another which I think is a far better way of thinking.

You say "I will never buy another AMD card again" and you say "I took off Adrenalin software until they fix it" but the fact of the matter is, there's nothing wrong with Adrenalin and the number of people who use it daily is in the millions. If there were a problem with Adrenalin software, reviewers would be saying so because they'd be encountering it ALL THE TIME. In fact, reviewers say the exact opposite, that Adrenalin is easier to use and is a more complete software suite than GeForce Experience.

As hard as it may be for your ego to accept, the problem here isn't Adrenalin, it's you.
First of all, when i had the Geforce RTX 2080 Ti i had no issues with anything. It's microsoft that is the problem it's copilot which i can't seem to turn off. I have had issues with this card from the beginning. Geforce Experience is a great software. I have had tried everything that everybody has suggested and nothing has worked and i'm ignorant. Do you know how to fix this problem? Instead of belittling me, you could help instead.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I can't return it cause it is too late. I think that I have found the problem it's microsoft copilot. I wish there was a better operating system besides windows or setup windows the way you want it instead of microsoft running it the way they want. I can't do anything cause i can't afford the GeForce RTX 4080 super right now. Yes I do deserve a better outcome but i paid a lot of money for this card so there has to be a solution or workaround

First of all, when i had the Geforce RTX 2080 Ti i had no issues with anything. It's microsoft that is the problem it's copilot which i can't seem to turn off. I have had issues with this card from the beginning. Geforce Experience is a great software. I have had tried everything that everybody has suggested and nothing has worked and i'm ignorant. Do you know how to fix this problem? Instead of belittling me, you could help instead.
I did help, but your inability to control your emotions made you incapable of seeing it. I said that it might be your XMP profile in your BIOS. You were so hung up on your bruised ego that you didn't even read it.

As for the bit about nVidia, I was referring to this post here on Steam:
Steam Forum - How to fix crashes (for real!!!): The Last of Us Part 1
I personally wouldn't know because the last GeForce card I used for gaming was a Palit 8500 GT. I'm showing you this as evidence that your delusion of "Radeon = Bad, GeForce = Good" is just that, a delusion. I was also pointing out that your statement was irrational, and it was. Did you want me to treat you with kid gloves or are you an adult?

I demonstrated to you that Radeon cards are actually GOOD and your problems aren't stemming from your card, you're just blaming it on your card which doesn't help you even if it makes your ego feel better. I don't see you refuting the fact that reviewers everywhere say that Adrenalin is great and I also don't see you refuting the fact that they they don't encounter the specific problems that you do. If they did, they'd be all over AMD like white on rice, but they're not.

I have more proof that there's nothing wrong with Radeons.

Here are the first Radeons I bought (they both still work):
2-x-xfx-radeon-hd-4870-1gb-jpg.313815

and here are more that I bought:
almost-full-video-card-collection-jpg.311880

The two cards in the bottom left corner were the last two GeForce cards I ever bought. The 8500 GT still works but I don't know if the 8400 GS does because nothing uses PCI anymore.

Ask yourself, if Radeons were garbage, why would I have kept on buying them?

The answer is because they worked fine for me in every game I ever played and also because when a Radeon card and GeForce card are the same price, the GeForce card was always slower. I'm not a masochist who enjoys hardware and driver issues, I like my games to work. If Radeons were as bad as you seem to think, Radeon wouldn't even exist today, let alone be able to outsell GeForce as of late (yes, Radeon clawed back a big chunk of marketshare over the past year).

Look, at the end of the day, get whatever you want. I'm not saying this to you for my benefit, I'm saying it for yours. I know that people don't have money to just throw around these days and I have a good reputation for trying to help people by suggesting things that cost them the least amount of money. I don't have any ill will towards you, I just tell you the truth as I see it, based on what I've seen in over 30 years of building PCs (my first build was in 1988). As you said yourself, it wasn't your card, it was Microsoft Copilot.

I just don't want you to have bad information when you make your ultimate decision. I don't think that's a bad thing. I can back up everything I say because I'm a straight-shooter and don't make things up. I have a good reputation for that too.

Last edited:

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I already made my decision disable notifications until microsoft stops fucking with shit and leave it alone. A patch will be issue soon and see what happens. I'm not downing Radeon cause back in the day ati was card to go with cause it was cheaper and it performed just as good as the geforce did. I'll stay with radeon 7900xt cause I have no choice. Thank you for your advice. Last time i post anything on here again