AMD Radeon driver / Win 10 not working at all

82DMC12

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, I have an HP DV7 laptop with an AMD Phenom N870 processor and two display drivers - AMD Radeon HD 6300M and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, bootup takes three or four minutes, and within a minute or two the computer is running hot and the fan is screaming. The display is stretched and grainy and looks terrible. I soon get a warning about the AMD driver not being installed.

I have tried using the ATI driver install service from the ATI website but it keeps saying I have the latest drivers.

If I use DDU (Display driver uninstaller) I can get back to the Intel HD graphics which look great and work great but then OF COURSE windows 10 automatically downloads the ATI drivers within a couple hours and the display crashes. On bootup I'm back to where I was with the wrong ATI drivers.

I don't know how to break this cycle. I don't care about the ATI drivers at all, I would be good with the Intel HD graphics but I can't find a way to tell Windows to quit updating them.

Any solution anyone is aware of??

82DMC12

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, I tried all of the above and nothing is working. Windows update just puts the same garbage driver back onto the computer within about one hour of getting the computer working. Then I get the BSOD , I have to reboot, and go through the whole process again.

How can I set the computer so that it never installs anything that has to do with AMD ATI ever again? All I want is the Intel HD drivers which work perfectly fine, but get replaced by windows update.

If I can't fix this, I have to throw this computer away and buy another... and it will definitely not have anything from AMD in it!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will just quote Laptop_Nerd again

Here's how you can disable the automatic update on Windows 10.
- Press the Windows key + R at the same time and type in gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Once open click on "Computer Configurations" and select "Administrative Templetes".
- Next is to select "All Settings" and look for "Configure Automatic Updates".
- Double click on it and select Disabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2992250/stop-windows-updating-graphics-driver.html

Do the steps he set out and after you install the driver you want, do the above to stop windows being annoying.

bb_aes

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Hi 82DMC12,
I have the exact same laptop and graphics chips and I also have had problems with the graphic driver once I installed Windows 10. What are the drivers you are using and where did you get them? Also, in Device Manager are the two Display Drivers showing up properly with no asterisk and with properties for both showing they are working properly? I can't get that. Also, does your HDMI port work? Mine worked fine with Windows 7 but the Windows 10 driver is not letting that work either. Thanks.