Question AMD Radeon drivers crashing ?

Oct 6, 2021
Specs:

i7-9700k
PRIME z370-A LGA 1151
16gb ram
Radeon 6600
650w EVGA bronze

So I came here awhile ago when I had the same issue of my Radeon 580 drivers crashing most people said it was probably the gpu going bad. This problem started when I replaced the cpu motherboard PSU and still had the 580. The issue was that my screen was going black either when running youtube and playing a game or too many things happening at once or somethings just randomly and i had to restart the whole computer to use it.

Since then I bought the new Radeon 6600 thinking the problem would be fixed, with this new gpu when it crashes it also doesnt go to a black screen it instead closes whatever caused the issue and restarts the driver. To use this gpu I safe moded my computer and did a clean wipe of my amd drivers. And used the amd install to get the newer update 21.10.2 If anyone has any ideas whats going on please help could be maybe the motherboard itself maybe the PSU has something wrong with it I have no idea.

Specs:

i7-9700k
PRIME z370-A LGA 1151
16gb ram
Radeon 6600
650w EVGA bronze

So I came here awhile ago when I had the same issue of my Radeon 580 drivers crashing most people said it was probably the gpu going bad. This problem started when I replaced the cpu motherboard PSU and still had the 580. The issue was that my screen was going black either when running youtube and playing a game or too many things happening at once or somethings just randomly and i had to restart the whole computer to use it.

Since then I bought the new Radeon 6600 thinking the problem would be fixed, with this new gpu when it crashes it also doesnt go to a black screen it instead closes whatever caused the issue and restarts the driver. To use this gpu I safe moded my computer and did a clean wipe of my amd drivers. And used the amd install to get the newer update 21.10.2 If anyone has any ideas whats going on please help could be maybe the motherboard itself maybe the PSU has something wrong with it I have no idea.
Exact model of your PSU is needed.

Did you do a clean windows installation when you swapped motherboard? If not, it is highly recommended to do so. Windows don't tend to play nicely with such hardware changes.

Jan 29, 2022
I have the exact same issue, but I have the RX 590.
I reckon it's a new driver issue. It's only been happening for the past month/two for me.

OGrabMe

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Have you tinkered with the clocks on the card or the tuning stuff in the radeon software ? last time i even as much as tried to tinker with my card in the slightest, i had driver crashes all the time, even just miniscule changes, some cards just dont like it at all

Rexer

Distinguished
Man, there could be a number of things. Not long ago, Windows10 did an upgrade and totally futz up my perfect gpu clocks. Crashing like a big dog everytime I tried to setup my clocks. Was forced to upgrade to the newer AMD software and MSI Afterburner. No big deal but I went from 35c to 45c for my best clock settings. Really, 10c difference isn't a big difference. But still, rather run 10c cooler.

My AMD drivers were 2 1/2 years old (2018) and Afterburner was even older. They worked great. If it aint broke, why fix it, right? Well, it didn't shine with the new Windows 10 updates so I had to update my gpu, too. Probably have to update my chipset then update the motherboard bios.

I started by getting the new AMD Radeon drivers and saving it on the desktop. I removed removed the old gpu drivers. Then used the AMD cleanup utility from AMD to remove fragments from the registry. Restarted the computer and installed the new drivers.

After I taking care of my gpu drivers I updated the motherboard drivers (chipset first then bios). I uninstalled/reinstalled my games and I was good to go.

Removing every trace of the old gpu driver is important. Fragments left in the registry will cause your gpu to crash with or without overclocking.

Get the AMD Cleanup Utility here.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Hope this helps.

i7 8770k 4.6 cpu
32gb of GSkills Ripjaws ram
Asus ROG Strix 370 H LGA 1151 mb
250g WD SSD
1tb WD SSD
AMD Vega64
EVGA G2 850w gold psu
LG rw/cd burner

Last edited: