AMD Radeon HD 2600 PRO AGP Can't Stream 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishead

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hello. Need help trying to get my HD 2600 PRO AGP card to work. I've had a couple different problems with this card.

First off, after installing drivers from visiontek then updating them using the hotfix provided by AMD, my CPU usage shoots up to 100% almost freezing up my machine. The processes that cause this are: nmsrcv.exe, wmiprvse.exe and msmpeng.exe. What i've read is that apparently theres some kind of conflict between the Micosoft UAA High Definition drivers that the card uses and the Realtek drivers on my machine. I did as the forum HERE said and disabled and uninstalled the Microsoft UAA HD drivers which fixed the problem dropping my CPU usage to normal. But when i reboot my computer the driver either enables itself or reinstalls itself automatically. And i've havent been able to find a fix for that...

Second, my card or machine can't seem to keep up with streaming 1080p or even 720p online on youtube or netflix. Video is choppy and lags. I also notice that my CPU usage jumps to 100% when streaming 1080p but my computer
doesnt lag or spaz out...

HELP! me bring this old P4 computer back to life. Here are the specs on my card and machine (PSU is 400Watts):

Name ATI Radeon HD 2600/3600 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9587&SUBSYS_00281545&REV_00\4&2EEAE0A0&0&0008
Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x9587), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 2600/3600 Series
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.7256
Driver Packaging Version 8.951-120308a-135952E-ATI
Catalyst™ Version 12.3
Provider AMD.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7256
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{0C615112-1DD0-4C00-BECD-F07755AD39DB}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0894
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11566
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2012.0308.2333.42157
AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238
AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GATEWAY_SYSTEM
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model E-3600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. PT84510A.15A.0005.P03.0203061931, 3/6/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.22 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

The chart in the link will show you how far down the graphics card you have is. You have an Antique AGP graphics card and you want to know why it won't keep up with video streaming?? The card was not made with that in mind and the technology of that card is old. The reason your cpu jumps to 100% is because it's trying to do the work that the video card should be doing and that is old also. (P4 ?)
I think it's time for a new computer that will bring you into this decade of newer technolgy.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
in order to play HD content you'll need either (A) a CPU powerful enough to process it, or (B) DXVA capable GPU (and software that supports DXVA).
you don't have either. you'll need either a super powerful CPU or DXVA caable GPU, both of which would require a new system. (DXVA capable GPU's are ATi 4000 series or higher, or nvidia 8000 series or higher, neither of which are available in AGP).

i used an old P4 machine as my HTPC until a few years ago, there's nothing that could be done within reason to get it to handle HD video when i got my HDTV.
now my HTPC is an E350.

You should try to disable the video cards built in sound card. this may have helped with the constant high cpu usage.

As for video, I would try some different browsers like Chrome and Opera. The reason being that not all browsers and even less under XP properly take advantage of extra video card capabilities.

https://www.google.com/chrome
http://www.opera.com/

A 2600 Pro while old, was still able to playback Bluray and HD DVD back in the day, but the software HAS to know how to use the card.

The AGP versions of that card do not have HDMI or Sound so there is nothing to disable in the video card. They have 2 DVI and on SVideo out.

msmpeng.exe is part of the Microsoft Antispyware

chrishead

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I know my system is really old and that AGP and my P4 CPU are definite bottle necks, but im trying to max it out and atleast get HD playback going on this thing. No gaming or video editing or anything too heavy duty... Anyway...

(A) As for my CPU... I've always thought the GPU was supposed to take most of the load off the CPU when it came to video/graphics play back. And isnt the AVIVO HD feature on my card supposed to accelerate graphics and take that load off my CPU?
(B) Not too sure if my card is DXVA capable... Didnt see it on the specs. Is there a bit difference between streaming 1080p from netflix or youtube and play 1080p format from you hard drive?

I think you could output audio through the DVI with and HDMI adapter. Maybe not on this AGP but i know some newer cards do. Any way i just need a way to permanently disable the MS UAA HD Audio Driver...

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
You know it's funny because I had almost the exact same setup with a p4 3.2ghz and 2600xt. Even with all the tricks it just couldn't handle the streaming of media of 1080p youtube or netflix. As you said, in theory the GPU is supposed to do the heavy lifting, unfortunately this just doesn't work out that way.

I ended up buying a blu-ray player (LG BP620) that supported streaming media and it's just so much better. No lag, usb connectivity, wireless-n, network ready, built in youtube ,netflix, hulu plus support and remote for $140. Just wanted to offer an alternative that is comparatively cheap. If you have an xbox360 you could use that for most of the streaming stuff.

chrishead

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Foxconn G33M02|Intel E8400 3.0Ghz|Dual Channel PNY Optima 4Gb DDR2|Galaxy GeForce GT 240 1GB|400W PSU... blah, blah, blah... Done... Now help me fix this one.... Please... ;)

That sounds like a nice BP. I do have my 360 setup for that as well, but im trying to set up this rig up for my parents room.
Its weird... I read about other people having luck with a similar system specs and same card... But card installs and runs fine from the get-go... This is frustrating...

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Well the problem really lies in the lack of support. Netflix doesn't use GPU accelration at all, and flash...well you have to make sure it's enabled (right click and settings, enable hardware acceleration).

But like I said, I used the P4 and I just don't see it possible to work with streaming online media. Local media, like dvd rips or dvi no problem, but youtube and netflix was impossible as most of those rely solely on CPU power. I used XBMC as media center software and network streaming of dvd's and tv rips worked fabulously, but the P4 simply lacks horsepower for other stuff.

chrishead

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Thanks supermuncher and everyone for your quick responses.

Ok. So before i forever abandon this thread and give up on this computer... Does everyone agree that due to my weak@$$ CPU i CANNOT stream 1080p online like on youtube or netflix...? Even if i upgraded to a nice HD 4650 AGP and an Intel P4 3GHz 512KB/400FSB? But with my current setup i CAN play bluray/HD files from my hard drive/optical drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.