AMD Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition: One Card, Six Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad they compared the 1GB and 2GB cards in a 3x1 setup. Glad I got my 5870 instead of waiting for a 2GB card :D. Even so, I want some thin bezel monitors before I hook up three of them. The bezel on my HP LCD is just to think so I'm not keen on buying another two.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
So I guess Apple's miniDP connector is quite useful after-all and is now seeing adoption outside of Macs.

It's too bad you didn't test GTA IV like you used to do. I believe GTA IV at max settings exceeds 1GB of VRAM usage so perhaps 2GB graphics cards may be of some use assuming the game isn't still CPU limited despite 12 threads with the Core i7 980X. At the very least, I'm guessing Liberty City at 6048x2276 would be amazing.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Obviously, the best solution is a 3x3 grid of displays to make sure your centre focus is not interfered with.

Lesse, that'd be 5760 x 3240.
No sweat ;)

G

So, I guess if you already have a 1GB 5870 and 3x1 Eyefinity setup, the only advantage of the 2GB version is being able to pile on the AA/AF effects and still have a playable frame rate.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
On a personal note, i'd buy Alienware's curved lcd .. maybe 2 of them .. i mean it's not the same resolution output but still, less bezel problems and it looks, in my opinion, way cooler.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Does the card require the configuration of 6 displays in landscape? I'm thinking maybe 5 displays side-by-side rotated in portrait would make a better option to avoid the center bezel. This would give a resolution of something like 5864 x 1920 (allowing for bezel correction). The ratio of width to height would then be about 3 to 1, which would be close to ideal, imo. Then use the other single monitor for live chats, twitter, etc.

This would also avoid the requirement for the specialized hardware to hold the monitors, assuming they have the capability of being rotated 90 degrees on their standard base.

Great article, thanks.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Does the card require the configuration of 6 displays in landscape? I'm thinking maybe 5 displays side-by-side rotated in a portrait would make a better option to avoid the center bezel. Then use the other single monitor for live chats, twitter, etc.This would also avoid the requirement for the specialized hardware to hold the monitors.Great article, thanks.[/citation]

Nope, you can move them around, if you have the physical mounting hardware to support your desired config. The actual display groups do need to be in arrays of some sort, though.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Excellent article Chris.
What sexy cards. I think the GTX 480/470 look ugly, and believe that reference ATi cards always win for looks. =D

[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Does the card require the configuration of 6 displays in landscape? I'm thinking maybe 5 displays side-by-side rotated in a portrait would make a better option to avoid the center bezel. Then use the other single monitor for live chats, twitter, etc.This would also avoid the requirement for the specialized hardware to hold the monitors.Great article, thanks.[/citation]
I run a 3x1 setup with all monitors in portrait mode. I couldn't stand in the insane stretching at the edge of every monitor due to the insane aspect ratio.
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]6x 1080p projectors would be nice. now i just need to win the lottery.[/citation]
I considered a 5x1 projector setup, but I eventually gave up on the thought realizing at some point I need to buy a car...

I honestly believe a 5x1 all portrait oriented setup would be superior. This also gives you a reasonable aspect ratio (as games don't do well with insane aspect ratios).
The only problem with running monitors in portait mode is the viewing angle. If you're like me and use cheappy TN panels, it can be horrible if you move your head even just a few inches.

The active DP to DVI adaptors cost $150 in Canada. =(
I tried using a passive (which still cost $50), and it worked (2048x1152), for 15 minutes. After that, it decided to no longer work, and so I dropped way too much money for the active (which had its own issues).
Why not miniDVI or miniHDMI instead? (other than the ridiculous HDMI licensing fees, but really, we're paying $200+ for these cards, deal with it).

At 3456x2048 a 5770 1GB is more than enough for most games still, and I can add a little AA to a few.
Now only if all games natively supported any resolution and were hort+. I can only use my triple display configuration on about half of my library. I shouldn't have to be doing .ini, registry and hex hacks.
ATi should give us some software equivalent to one Matrox gave it's TH2G/DH2G users (instantly modified game .ini's etc.). Or at least include the address http://widescreengamingforum.com/ with the card...

What about a triple slot card? There was a 2GB 4870x2 (Gainward Rampage700 2048MB) triple slot card, and it was a beast, while offering a extra display output. I would be comfortable with a triple slot 5970 or 5990 (5890x2 or whatever they want to call it, IF they ever make it).
How about some 3GB (6GB for x2) cards?
A 5970 8GB (with a 384bit bus) triple slot with six miniDP (with 6 RAMDACS and includes 6 miniDP to DVI and HDMI adaptors) with a massive air cooled copper block and both GPU's are handpicked is something easily worth well over $1000. Run three 4K projectors on that (in all portrait, running at 6480x3840 @ 24.9MP) watch as people go change their pants. =D
Anyone remember the Asus Mars GTX 285x2 4GB that almost soldout on preorders alone? There is a market for it.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Nope, you can move them around, if you have the physical mounting hardware to support your desired config. The actual display groups do need to be in arrays of some sort, though.[/citation]
I used a hardware store for my needs. I bought a hammer, a bag of nails, and five feet of wood. No way in hell was I going to spend hundreds on proper mounts, when $25 would achieve the same result, albeit ugly as hell.

It is interesting you could confirm the GTX 480's multi-monitor high idle power usage issue.
Where you also able to confirm the 90°C+ idle temps?

A bit of a disappointment on the 2GB 5870, not that I was expecting miracles.
It is good to know that more than 1GB is still unnecessary in the latest games running at high resolution.

G

If I was to own two 5870 for Multi Display, the monitors would be removed from their housings and mounted on a custom stand, removing bezels all together!

Mod time comes to mind!!!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
More memory makes sense when doubling the screen resolution. You are looking at double the size screen buffer. Manipulating the screen buffer is how Anti-Aliasing is achieved. You just take multiple copies of the screen buffer and blur them a little. The more you copy the screen buffer, the cleaner you can make the edge in anti-aliasing.

For something on this scale in RAW, it would be 1920 x 1024 x 6 x 24bits. That would be a rather large buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.