AMD Radeon HD 6000-series GPU Shots Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hell, 10-20$ off another Sapphire 5770 and I'll buy it without any regrets.
Honestly though, the 6 series may be coming out at an earlier date than most people would expect, especially Nvidia. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 series is selled as, "The newest dx11.1 technology! See where dx11.1 performs extremely better than dx11." Then it ends up giving a 10% increase over the previous cards for 20-100$ more than what the 5 series started at.

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
i'm gonna skip the 6000 gen just cuz i just got a 5970 a couple mths ago, so i'm gonna have to hold off until 7000 or maybe even 8000, depends on how it hold up for the next 2 years with all the new games coming down the pipe.

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]p4nz3rm4d[/nom]fake...or really cool...but y did they need to create a new series soo soon?[/citation]
So soon?
It's been nearly 1 year since ATI released the 5000 series, just because nvidia is late doesn't mean ATI have to wait for them.

I might just pass up this round after just buying a GTX 460 and my ATI cards are good enough for casual use any way. A cheap 3870 that saved me a little bit on electric when I had upgraded from a x1900xt.

G

NVidia is the best!! AMD must figure out tessalation before I would even consider switching.

I remember a couple of rabid ATi fans saying similar things when Eyefinity was announced and now it seems that Nvidias 3 screen solution has better framerates and doesn't require the messing about with expensive dongles that may or may not work.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
R.I.P. Nvidia. It has only been a few months since Fermi launched to compete with the 5800 line...

Definitely looking forward to another 5770 for crossfire. The holidays are going to be very nice for AMD.

Moonrise

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
why is it that 95% of all news on tomshardware is ALWAYS 1-3 days old... used to be one of the best places for news, not it's pretty much the worst place for it

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i'm waiting for this. we might actually see the "+" sign again on nvidia hardware if this 6000s are good.

gtx460+ is pretty feasible.

and to the dude that said they careated a new series so soon.. dude, its more than a year since the 5000s went live. thats equivalent to 1 decade in a tech timeline.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]mousemonkey[/nom]I remember a couple of rabid ATi fans saying similar things when Eyefinity was announced and now it seems that Nvidias 3 screen solution has better framerates and doesn't require the messing about with expensive dongles that may or may not work.[/citation]

Yes and you forgot that Nvidia's 3 screen solution needs 2 cards to work right?

G

"but y did they need to create a new series soo soon?"

Over the last year, with HD5xxx, market share for discrete GPUs has
gone from roughly 60:40 in favor of NVidia to about 50:50. That's
good for AMD, but obviously they'd like to push it further, to 40:60
or 30:70. And better products can help make that happen. Doubtless
AMD wouldn't feel compelled to move so quickly and aggressively if they
already had dominant market share, but they don't.

Also, AMD has been constrained by supply from TSMC's 40nm fabs - they
could sell more GPUs and make more revenue if they could get more
wafers and/or higher yields through TSMC. I would suspect that one
goal for the HD6xxx parts is to get more dollars of revenue per wafer,
partly by the shader and uncore improvements which should give higher
performance per square mm, and partly by tuning the designs for
higher yield, in the light of experience with the 40nm process.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mousemonkey[/nom]I remember a couple of rabid ATi fans saying similar things when Eyefinity was announced and now it seems that Nvidias 3 screen solution has better framerates and doesn't require the messing about with expensive dongles that may or may not work.[/citation]
Except that you need a much more expensive (I am not mentioning power hungry) second graphics card.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]There is a big competition. They have to deliver new products and better performance. So its normal to have a new serie. and its not so soon...I want to see the impact on the current 5000 serie price[/citation]
Yep. Actually, this is the way it is meant to be played.
For nVidia, I would replace it by "Delayed". :lol:

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
a 6xxx series might be a good jump for those using 4xxx and older

now... I find it curious that AMD would be going first for the 5770 and 5750 range instead of going to the throat again (58xx range)... they want to have a comeback if nvidia shoots a nice one on that range later on?

So you were the one who gave the thumbs down. :lol: And no, I didn't forget but after seeing the numbers it's quite obvious that a single card cannot run three screens at decent framerates with all details turned up and a single card still needs a dongle or a DP enabled monitor whereas the Nv solution just requires SLi (which I for one would use anyway in a gaming rig).

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ezodagrom[/nom]So soon?It's been nearly 1 year since ATI released the 5000 series, just because nvidia is late doesn't mean ATI have to wait for them.[/citation]

I agree, nvidia has a lot of catching up to do here. i'm really curious to see how this will play out.

[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]you mean AMD, ATI is dead, remember? /_\My 5750 works great with most games, I think I'm skipping this step.[/citation]

ATI shall never die.

:p

But I am waiting to see the performance improvements in games. Maybe it will give 50%, maybe 100%. Maybe 10%. I hope they have a review soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.