[SOLVED] AMD Radeon HD 6450 Overclocking - is it safe?

Jul 11, 2022
[I'm new to this forum, and PC hardware, misunderstanding might happen]

Hello, I'm thinking of overclocking my GPU, which is the Radeon HD 6450, but the cooling fan is a bit small, honestly. Will it keep the chip cool enough with a higher clock speed?

There seem to be different models too, I have the one shown in this image:
34619.jpg

It's smaller than it actually looks in the image. While running a game (ROBLOX, for example) it reaches temperatures around 70C very quickly at higher settings. I'm using the AMD Radeon settings application to overclock, basically I'm asking what maximum clock speed would be safe for this GPU considering how hot it gets?

Solution
D
As for overclocking it's never "safe" always a chance you kill your hardware etc. As for max clock speeds each card will differ. Please note that even with a 5-10% core increase with that card you are looking at like 1-2 fps.
D

Deleted member 362816

As for overclocking it's never "safe" always a chance you kill your hardware etc. As for max clock speeds each card will differ. Please note that even with a 5-10% core increase with that card you are looking at like 1-2 fps.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There is no gain to be made from attempting to OC a card of this lineage and age. If it is not performing as you desire, it is certainly old enough to consider spending towards an upgrade. The only thing you will do by OC this card will be to put undue stress on an already old card and on the assumption that the rest of the system is equally aged, it as well. More than likely that the shortcoming in heat and performance you are perceiving are a byproduct of the age of this equipment and how much farther the wave of technology and hardware ability that has happened since then.

I'm pretty sure AMD limits the max clocks on these anyway, I have a few of these cards for older systems and some odd ball HD8350 cards I bought from ebay, but maxing out the clocks on the ones I tried it with were always still 100% stable, but not worth it since the card is so slow anyway.

Honestly the only thing that would happen if you go to far and its not stable, it'll just crash and then recover well before any damage is done, voltage and heat is what kills things, increasing clock speeds, you'll just get unstable and it'll recover, its not like the old 80s and 90s stuff that had no fail safes,

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
[I'm new to this forum, and PC hardware, misunderstanding might happen]

Hello, I'm thinking of overclocking my GPU, which is the Radeon HD 6450, but the cooling fan is a bit small, honestly. Will it keep the chip cool enough with a higher clock speed?

There seem to be different models too, I have the one shown in this image:
34619.jpg

It's smaller than it actually looks in the image. While running a game (ROBLOX, for example) it reaches temperatures around 70C very quickly at higher settings. I'm using the AMD Radeon settings application to overclock, basically I'm asking what maximum clock speed would be safe for this GPU considering how hot it gets?
Hi i had the same gpu as yours on my previous build, did many searching and askings and also tried many different ways to even oc my gpu over the limits, but i didn't see any improvement!
let me explain it with an example, you need one car for a race, but you have a bicycle, does adding any extra wheels to your bike, make it work for you to join the race? nope! you just kill yourself while competing with the cars :) (you kill your gpu and burn it by doing oc in this case.)
i recommend you to change your mb and buy an APU if your budget is limited, i recommend ryzen 3400g if your budget is too low, good luck man