AMD Radeon, HD 6450

Aug 12, 2018
I am trying to upgrade my video card from an HD6450 and when I install it and turn the computer and monitor on, my monitor immediately goes into power save mode. I bought a new power supply (430w) and a new monitor and I get the same thing. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or is there something I need to do in addition to just putting the card in? I have an HP Pavilion Elite 570t with an Intel Core i7 2600 CPU. The card I am trying to install is an AMD Radeon 8490. This is the fourth card I have tried. I get the same thing with all of them. Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

What was the old card?
Btw, The title says you are trying to get the HD-4670 to work, but you just changed that to the HD-8490 above. Either card should work (even with the original PSU) unless they are defective.

Aug 12, 2018
I put the wrong card in the title. The card that came with the computer is an HD 6450 I am trying to upgrade to a 8490. I've tried three other cards and I get the same result. I turn on the computer and my monitor goes into power save mode and stays there. As soon as I put the old card back in, everything is fine.

That card should get all it's power from the PCIe slot, so that shouldn't be an issue. However, I think i'd check the BIOS version and see if it's the newest possible. Sometimes out of date BIOS can cause issues.

The specs page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02682448
Lists several GPU's they offered in that machine, and it is possible that the BIOS wont accept any card outside that list, but lets hope it just needs an update.

edit: From this:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Graphics-Card-Upgrade-for-the-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-575a/td-p/6124755
It appears you have to get a card that supports "legacy BIOS', not UEFI.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
You say the cables are right but did you need to change cable type ? Like from vga or dsub to hdmi or displayport ?
What I am getting at is are you sure the monitor is trying to use the correct interface ? could it be trying to use dsub when you need to use hdmi or something similar ?

The BIOS is the most basic system of the computer, it's all that stuff that comes up before Windows starts to load. Upgrading the BIOS is a risky proposition, if done incorrectly you could end up with an expensive paperweight.

Some GPU's require UEFI BIOS for compatibility and from what that link I put says, you need a card that doesn't need UEFI, as your system has the older "Legacy BIOS".

For a GPU upgrade, you are probably going to have to stick the that generation of cards.

Aug 12, 2018
The video card has a DVI connector and Display port and my old monitor also has the DVI so I didn't need to change anything. The new monitor has an HDMI so I had to buy an adaptor for the HDMI. The cables don't seem to be the problem since I've bought new ones and gone through all this with the other cards I tried.