AMD Radeon HD 6870 - Dedicated system memory setting ?

bp72

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
In the Windows Performance Information and Tools under graphics there is an entry for "dedicated system memory".

Is there a way for me to add more memory to the video card?

Is this similar to setting part of the disc drive to be dedicated to a video scratch disc or extension of memory?

If so where do I find those settings as I couldn't find a setting under device manager or in the "AMD Vision Engine Control Center" application.

The information from Windows Performance Information :

Graphics
Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Total available graphics memory 8959 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB <---
Shared system memory 7935 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.872.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Or is this nothing and not memory I can add to?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Solution
Your video card does not need system memory, it has plenty of it's own memory.

Looks like you've got your settings completey screwed up. Re-set everything to default.

Actually those settings are probably the defaults already -- Don't think he has changed anything !! Currently it is set to use the video card memory and not set aside any dedicated system memory for the card but has shared memory available if it is ever needed (Which is exactly the way it should be set since setting aside dedicated system memory as you say would be a waste of resources since it is likely to never be used )

Because there is 0 "DEDICATED SYSTEM" memory set aside this number shows how much of the system memory is set aside strictly for the video card usage and is normally 0 except on systems that have integrated chips that hav no memory of their own and always use system memory for the video so there will be some memory set aside dedicated for that usage that is not "Shared" with the rest of the system. In this case there is 1GB of VRAM on the video card, 0mb of system memory set aside for the video systems exclusive usage, and up to 8GB. of shared memory available to be assigned as needed which would most likely be the defaults on a system with a 1gb. VRAM video card and 8gb. of system Ram.

bp72

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Wasn't messing with the settings... just didn't understand the settings as to me the numbers didn't seem to add up. Plus, never knew system memory could be set aside for video.

I have had 3ds Max 2012 just shut off while in the middle of animating which made me check the settings in the first place.

Learned a long time ago to ask when things don't look right.

Well since we don't even know what motherboard he's talking about, that's just your hypothesis. Your probably right but it's impossible to figure these things out when the poster fails to mention the hardware in question. It's a guessing game.

I'm done guessing. Good luck, Im out.