AMD Radeon HD 7770 And 7750 Review: Familiar Speed, Less Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
If the 7770 is the same price as the 6850. I think we have the best value card right here. The 6850 was a great budget card but this card will change that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"Although other cards beat it in encryption and decryption performance, the Radeon HD 7750 easily secures a second-place finish in the SHA256 hashing test."

I think you mean AES256.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The fight shaping up between all these new AMD cards and Kepler is looking to be a good one. Time to just sit back with some popcorn and enjoy the show... while planning a new build for when the price war breaks out.

Seems ok, New stuff ussually cost more. The 6770 being more expensive than the 5770, the 6870 being more expensive than the 5850 ect.

I'd expect prices to go down once supply goes up and demand goes down.

G

This is ridiculous. Man this sucks, i've been waiting for the 7770 since early last year, and this crap is what they release?

What_were_they_thinking?

This is unfortunate, considering the naming scheme. The 4770, 5770, and 6770 were/are all good budget cards that performed above where they were priced. Bang for buck has always been the draw here, but that 7770 is overpriced. Hopefully AMD will see this fumble; I agree at $120-130 this card makes a lot more sense.

I'd actually like to see the HD 7750 at a lower price too, as we know these prices will drop over time but I still think this is slightly high for launch.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
In the monthly best Graphics cards you mention that AMD is dominating. I wonder why though. Are Nvidia's cards capable of maintaining a price premium because consumers are willing to pay a little more to use Nvidia drivers and extras like PhysX and 3d vision? Or possibly are their cards more expensive to manufacture and so Nvidia must raise prices to maintain margins and simply suffer reduced sales at those prices. Anyone know?

G

These prices are terrible, even compared to the current competition and not the inevitable huge price drop to compete with Nvidia's next gen. 7770 giving less then GTX460 performance at $160, when in what 2-3 months Nvidia will probably be giving that performance level for under $99.

7770 is crap.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]These prices are terrible, even compared to the current competition and not the inevitable huge price drop to compete with Nvidia's next gen. 7770 giving less then GTX460 performance at $160, when in what 2-3 months Nvidia will probably be giving that performance level for under $99. 7770 is crap.[/citation]
Amd may be taking advantage of their unopposed release of the 7000 series to sell their cards at high margins. They may just be waiting for the new Nvidia cards to come out before they drop prices.

scallywanker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I was hoping the 7770 would provide a little more umph. I'm running a 460GTX-SLI setup, and hoped that ATI... er AMD's mid-range bracket in Crossfire would provide a significant boost, worthy of an upgrade. With the 460 more than hanging in there at stock speeds, I can't see a dual-card upgrade in the future, unless Kepler just absolutely blows this up at these price points. Even the 7950 and 7970 are a hard sell with limited availability and price-gouging.

AMD is like the Chicago Cubs. Even non-fans want them to succeed, but they can never seem to get their act together.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]MattMock[/nom]Amd may be taking advantage of their unopposed release of the 7000 series to sell their cards at high margins. They may just be waiting for the new Nvidia cards to come out before they drop prices.[/citation]

I agree somewhat, but I don't think it's the enthusiast crowd they're targeting here. It's the OEM crapfest that pushes the latest trash onto unknowing consumers while slapping a gaming pc title on their box.

AMD had an edge with the Cayman because its performance was unopposed in the single gpu realm. With these cards that's nowhere close to the truth. In the past you could at least expect to get new DX support newer shading support or anything that would give the current model a unique edge over it's predecessor. I'm just not seeing that with this release. Then to top it off AMD is continuing the trend they started with the 7970 of an over-inflated launch price. While that might have flown with the cards that were untouchable, it's not going to fly here when you can spend the same money for more peformance, period.

I feel bad for pre-built pc buyers that are unaware of things like this, such a ripoff.

scallywanker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
[citation][nom]scallywanker[/nom]AMD's mid-range bracket [/citation]

Confused by the launch order and prices, I mistook this for their mid-range, and not their budget range. It's better, but not by much.

jdwii

Splendid
-1 To amd this is Not even worth it, Way over priced the 7770 should cost 149.99$ at most! The 7750 is not to bad for the money its better then the 6750 but still about 5-10% slower then a 6770 that costs the same. But like toms said this will be a great card in the Media center PC's. Only 55 watts Nice!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
wait they leave the memory part of 7750 intact? wow! Could this mean if I manage to OC the already low clock 7750, I will bes a significant boost in performance? Enough to make up some ground on the disabled units?

Status
Not open for further replies.