AMD RADEON HD 7950 acting weird

nitroking.175

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
So I recently installed an AMD radeon hd 7950 in my pc, and for some reason my pc won't accept the card. I've checked what other components may be stopping it from working properly like the PSU (500w seasonic) or CPU (AMD A8 7600), but after testing them with an AMD Rx 580, it seems to be that it is the graphics card that has all the problems tied to it. When I run my pc with the radeon 7950 it will crash and I'll have to restart the PC multiple times for it to work properly again, I'm not really a PC guy but this is really bugging as my friends who are don't seem to know what the problem is.

Solution
It is an old card, your system might be sensitive to instability the card is causing. There isn't always a definitive answer.

I'll give you an example- I have a lot of 7950's still left from when those were top mining cards and I still use the older cards for experimental blockchain work. Yet I have run into cases where a card will work on one board and not another. Event swapping the same 7950 model just cures the problem and the so called wonky card will work fine in something else. It's annoying as hell and generally it goes up on Ebay for parts (working but not trusted) .

One thing you can try is underclocking the card... in AMD Overdrive, drop the frequency of the GPU and RAM a 100Mhz each and see if it stabilizes.

nitroking.175

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
It doesn't really pass 65°C, so I don't think it's overheating, I am having the same problem with one of the fans not automatically spinning, but I'm sure it's the card, I haven't tried the second BIOS

Mark RM

Admirable
It is an old card, your system might be sensitive to instability the card is causing. There isn't always a definitive answer.

I'll give you an example- I have a lot of 7950's still left from when those were top mining cards and I still use the older cards for experimental blockchain work. Yet I have run into cases where a card will work on one board and not another. Event swapping the same 7950 model just cures the problem and the so called wonky card will work fine in something else. It's annoying as hell and generally it goes up on Ebay for parts (working but not trusted) .

One thing you can try is underclocking the card... in AMD Overdrive, drop the frequency of the GPU and RAM a 100Mhz each and see if it stabilizes.

Solution