AMD Radeon HD 7970 Design Details Leak Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Simply amazing, without AMD releasing quality Graphics cards and processors, we'd all be paying Intel $1,000 per CPU and Nvidia $750 per GPU. Thanks AMD, for providing all the best products and lowest prices for GPU's, CPU's and APU's.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Simply amazing, without AMD releasing quality Graphics cards and processors, we'd all be paying Intel $1,000 per CPU and Nvidia $750 per GPU. Thanks AMD, for providing all the best products and lowest prices for GPU's, CPU's and APU's.[/citation]
"quality processors" not really, the processor division is really lacking in quality, but they make up for it in price for the most part... right now, the AMD processor divisions best goal is simply keeping intels prices to a semi decent level.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
The only thing good about it is the dual bios. How i hate when they show graphs with "x relative performance" instead of detailed numbers. Waiting for the benchmarks before i get hyped.

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]"quality processors" not really, the processor division is really lacking in quality, but they make up for it in price for the most part... right now, the AMD processor divisions best goal is simply keeping intels prices to a semi decent level.[/citation]

I agree, there were alot of interesting architectural innovations introduced in the Itanium that I hoped would trickle down. Instead x64 is pretty weak, but at least it keeps AMD in the game and Intel cheap.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
the rumored specs appear to have been accurate. So lets hope that the numbers we are seeing on the nvidia side are accurate too

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-kepler-gk104-gk100-specifications-detailed-gk100-rumored-launch-q2-2012/

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Pretty amazing to see such improvements in performance.
Now I just did the same thing as I did when the GTX5** series was coming out, I grabbed two 470's..

Now I have a 580, maybe I'll hold off on another one and wait until Nvidia releases their competitors to the 7 series cards.

Then I'll make my choice, because in all honesty, these performance boosts are no laughing matter.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]"quality processors" not really, the processor division is really lacking in quality, but they make up for it in price for the most part... right now, the AMD processor divisions best goal is simply keeping intels prices to a semi decent level.[/citation]

take a phenom II and an i7, in most applications the i7 is well ahead of the phenom, but keep in mind we are talking about seconds, not minutes the difference between 30 seconds and a 1 minute encode on a consumer level is negligible. but the cost of the i7 is about 300$ and the phenom II is about 100, for the i7 to be fully worth it it would need to be 300% better minimum (my math is a 100$ phenom x 300% = 300$, i may not be saying it right but that's what i mean) but in most cases, its only 2x faster, many coming down to a 1.5 level.

i don't want to get onto this topic here, but i did.

[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]6990 costs $699.0, anyone got a guess for the 7990?[/citation]

well id i'm thinking right and reading right, the die size on these things are larger than the 6990 so in all likely ness it would cost more than it.

jdwii

Splendid
NICE! Amd is not playing around this time Nvidia will need to watch out i predict the 7990 is going to be the fastest video card in the world just like the 6990 and 5970 was at their times. If Amd knows how to do one thing its make fantastic graphics cards. I CANT WAIT. I kinda feel like a kid at Christmas time i wasn't going to get a new video card because my Amd 6950 is already A Beast but i might reconsider if the price is right. I might just wait until Nvidia comes out with their new cards so the prices will fall a little on these.

But enough about me, I really hope that last slide about the tessellation performance is TRUE and not a marketing slide like BD. Amd Please don't fail me again make this a series Amd fans wont forget and i mean that in a Good way. Oh yeah Toms nice article as always!

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
This is about it, I've read more than enough gutter crap to say people that use computers are about the most stupid branch of the human race. This is the last time I bother to read or post because why try to teach the unteachable! Why try to tell them they are driving into a wall at 200mph but wouldn't stop anyway, this is it!

Actually AMD's cpu's with the right optimizing software and with a windows patch will give their cpu's a fighting chance. One thing that isn't made to clear is the benchmark tests are using older software on the poor marks and does pretty good with newer programs that are still optimized for intel software and windows has a few updates to put out that will give it a nice boost with it alone giving 5 to 10% performance boosts not including the coding that will help give it even more speed. Their CPU's are not slow by any means if you can think past the obvious parts that aren't brought out with the software they are testing them with. Sites that have done tests with beta windows 8 has shown this one fact that isn't mentioned very much. Add the fact that newer software is going more and more multi threaded and AMD's cpu's have pretty good performance.
They are designed for the future more than the past but most people can't think past their nose to see this. AMD had the same bullshit thrown at them when they came out with a 64bit cpu and used the lower clocked but more effient cpu while everyone was creaming their jeans over the P4's huge clock speeds that it could never run at for very long.
AMD has it's drawbacks with single threading that they need to work on but they took a better look at where software is heading in the future, not where it's been, and have a good idea that needs fine turning. Most new games are getting so huge and complex that muti threading is becoming standard. In this area AMD can keep up with Intel in a lot of area's even when they are running software that is optimized for the Intel design. Once they take AMD's design into account it will give good numbers to be sure. Add a reworked OS and it will be able to hold it's own in the range it was designed to fill. People are so thick it's very frustrating to read a lot of the crap thrown around here.
With everything being equal, software optimized and windows working with this new design now it would more than give it's target cpus a good run for the money. And if you keep bashing AMD and moronic fools let them slip farther from not enough income for increasing their line of cpu's you can shoot yourself in the foot and cry as you have to pay 1k per cpu from Intel because they WILL rake everyone over the coals if AMD is no longer helping keep the prices down.
Man, I get so sick of seeing people walk gladly over the cliff because they can't see what is just around the corner if they don't start thinking straight. Shesh, most of you deserve the reaming your steering yourselves into with this attitude of me first and damm what comes next.
Because when it really comes down to home use any of todays cpu's are more than fast enough to run anything you want to throw at them and your just walking a benchmark induced high that will have quite the sticker shock when it comes around to blind side the near sighted fools if AMD can't get enough income to do any real R&D improvements to their line of products. Everyone will pay for it in the long run but no one is smart enough to see this. It takes brains and a bit of a long view to see the inevitable.
But most people can't think in patterns, or even think past next weekend for that matter. And Intel knew how to pull your strings as well as everyone else's as they blindsided the market with mafia style business ethics and didn't care about lawsuits because they knew they could ride out the wave. Most people were still wondering if AMD was compatible with their cpu's and the hardware sites had Intel inside plastered all over their sites and were pushing that P4 piece of crap while trying to figure out what AMD's P3000 was as fast as the number said it was. The hardware sites had a lot of fun with that one when AMD had the best cpu out. It was and is a very bad and sick joke to watch everyone screw themselves as people tend to do. It's a very long and predictable trait that most people have that keeps getting the world into one screw up after the next.
When they say Intel inside it will come to mean bend over so we can take a look at it once the doctor removes it from the idiots rear end.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
so with this next gen gpu coming from both red and green (soon), for all the unbelievable raw power in it, it is about the time games have to much more gpgpu processing, physic and teselation comes into play to create the most realistic dynamic world other than just a scripted world. i want to see that,, beyond graphics. that is what gpu for, for a gamer.

I like that there is not currently any rambus coming out perhaps that will come out in revisions after Kepler comes out shin0bi272 thanks for that link it is almost a little scary to think of that much GPU to Play console ports and terribly optimized games but I guess that is where the brute force parts are needed.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
In the mean time, Nvidia only plan to launch their flagship Kepler almost a year later.....No direct competition between these 2 SUCKS. A reason why 7970 is charging for $700.

Status
Not open for further replies.